Hirsch Family Endowed Scholarship
HIRSCH FAMILY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIPS honors the legacy of Professor Lany Hirsch, who played a pivotal role in the establishment of WCC’s Academic Support Center. Awards recognize continuing full-time students who have overcome challenges and improved their academic standing by making use of the resources available through the Academic Support Center.
Description of award:
The Hirsch Family Scholarship is awarded annually to two (2) continuing students at Westchester Community College who have overcome obstacles in their journey and have used the Academic Support Center to move toward their academic goals.
Students’ participation in the program is made possible by the scholarships, but the initiative offers much more than a traditional scholarship program. The Hirsch Family Scholarship hopes to ease that academic journey by providing a substantial award of $3,000 to cover tuition, books, fees, and other expenses.
Scholarship recipients will have some delineated obligations, including maintaining full time status, earning at least a 2.5 GPA and attending some Foundation events to thank the donors. They will also be required to maintain a relationship with the committee that promotes their scholarship. We believe that these relationships are the foundation for development both socially, emotionally, and academically.
- Enroll for at least 12 credits each semester.
- Have a current student financial aid form on file.
- Maintain a semester GPA of at least 2.5 and immediately notify the program directors if encountering any academic difficulties.
- Make a serious commitment to participate in a required donor/student events.
- You will be asked to detail in writing the change this scholarship makes in your life and write that in a letter to the donor and to the committee.
Student Obligations of award
- You must maintain full -time status (12 or more credits) for the entire academic year.
- Those who drop to part time during the year will lose the second half of their award.
- You must submit a letter of thanks to the donor.
- Your award will not be disbursed into your account until this is received.
- You must continue to meet the criteria of the award:
- Maintain GPA of 2.5
- See scholarship description, above