While the college is closed due to COVID, Career Services is still available to assist with your Career Development needs. You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask a question or schedule a virtual or phone appointment.
Mission StatementCareer Services seeks to support Westchester Community College’s academic programs by designing, implementing, and managing services, programs and systems that meet the career development and employment needs of students and alumni. The Career Services team also strives to meet the staffing needs of local, regional and national employers.
Events & Workshops
Click here for upcoming Fall Virtual Workshops & Events.
Virtual Transfer Fair, Fall 2020
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.Location: Online, click to register
Career Services Workshops/Events Spring 2020
SAVE the DATE: SPRING 2020 CAREER EXPOWednesday, April 1, 2020 10:30 am-2:00 pm Valhalla Campus/PE Building
- Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, 11am – Classroom 200
- Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020, 11am – Classroom 200
Career Expo/Job Fair Prep Workshops
- Wednesday, Feb 12, 2020, 11am – Classroom 100
- Wednesday, Feb 26, 2020, 11am – Classroom 200
- Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020, 11am – Classroom 100
Internship & AL Information/Prep Seminar
- Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2020, 11am – Classroom 100 Learn Benefits & Highlights of Value added Work Experiences
Interview/Big Interview Tool Workshop
- Wednesday, April 8, 2020, 11 am – Classroom 100
Civil Service Employment- Seminar
- Wednesday, April 15, 2020, 11 am – Classroom 100 Gain insight into applying for government jobs
Résumé Drop –In Assistance(Academic Support Center/Writing Tutorial-Valhalla Campus)
- Monday, Feb. 10, 2020, 10-11:30am –Library G13
- Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020, 1:30 – 3pm- Library G13
- Monday, Mar. 16, 2020, 10-11:30am –Library G13
- Tuesday, Mar. 24, 2020, 1:30-3pm – Library G13
- Monday, April. 6, 2020, 10-11:30am – Library G13
- Tuesday, April. 21, 2020, 1:30-3pm – Library G13
- Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 1:30-3pm – Library G13
Drop-In Hours & Refreshments
- Wednesday, Mar 18, 2020, 11am- 1pm – Student Center Room 290
Connect with employers and find JOB opportunities on the WCC Online Job Boardwww.collegecentral.com/sunywcc Add the collegecentral.com/app to your smart phone or tablet Home Screen
LocationStudent Center Room 290 914.606.6760 email@example.com
Drop-In Hours- Student Center #290, Valhalla Campus
Thursdays 9am – 12pmThursday, Feb 6
Thursday, Mar 5
Mondays 1pm- 4pmMonday, Feb 17
Monday, Mar 23
Privacy StatementCareer Services offers its services without discrimination on the basis of age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, disabling condition, or sexual orientation. No claim is made on the reliability of information available on any of the servers included in this list. We do not recommend or advise the commercial use of any of these sites. Their inclusion is solely based on their relevance to the scope of career resources.
Location: Student Center, 2nd fl.
Gelaine Williams, Counselor
Career Services, STC 290
Adjunct Career Counselor,
Theresa Leahy, Receptionist,
Office HoursSeptember – May Monday- Friday: 9 am - 5 pm
Career Services 4-Semester Plan and BeyondAre you confused about your career path and/or college major? Are you looking for a job or internship and would like help with your search? The counselors in Career Services are here to assist you. Call, email or stop by the second floor of the student center and schedule a one-on-one career counseling appointment. Access our on-line career exploration, job search tools, and attend workshops and other events. Our goal is to assist you in achieving your desired career goals. To download the 4 semester plan brochure, click here.
- Get an early start on your career planning by visiting Career Services to learn about potential programs and services designed specifically for first year students.
- Visit the Career Services website www.sunywcc.edu/career regularly
- Look for extracurricular opportunities and activities. The best way to make a smooth transition to college life is to get involved. This can also enhance your resume.
- Think about the types of activities and classes you have enjoyed so far to begin to get an idea about the topics and skills you are most passionate about
- Schedule a career assessment through Career Services to understand how your interests, values, skills and personality may relate to potential majors and careers.
We offer the following options:
- Career Coach
- FOCUS 2
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Strong Interest Inventory
- As you explore major and career options, talk to professionals on campus that have knowledge about the fields you are considering.
- Use our Candid Career tool to listen to professionals in your fields of interest
- Work with Career Services to develop a professional resume/cover letter
- Create a portfolio of academic and extracurricular projects and achievements that can be shared with potential employers
- Attend workshops and programs offered by Career Services to expand your knowledge of career and job related issues
- Go to the WCC library and find the career resource section
- Create an account on our online job board– CCN to look for summer jobs, FT/PT opportunities related to your career interests as well as register for workshops and programs sponsored by Career Services
- Find a mentor
- Conduct an informational interview
- Develop a professional online image; clean up any “digital dirt” on your current profiles
- Create a LinkedIn profile & E-portfolio documenting your involvement and accomplishments on campus and in your community
- Look at internship, applied learning and/or volunteer options to begin to gain experience in your field of interest and help affirm your career choice
- Learn about effective interviewing skills; review your accomplishments to develop your “one second commercial/Elevator Pitch”
- Practice your interviewing skills to increase your self-confidence
- Expand your network of professionals and keep them informed of your academic/career progress
- Apply for scholarships
- Create a profile on Collegefish.org (the completion and transfer tool for community college students)
- Review Career Readiness Competencies through Career Services
Final Semester & Beyond
- Polish/refine your resume and career portfolio
- Look for opportunities on the CCN job board
- Attend workshops specifically geared towards preparing for interviews and job fairs
- Complete a practice interview that is reviewed by a Career Counselor
- Attend the annual Career Expo
- Work directly with a Career Counselor to secure a FT or Summer opportunity; further enhancing your employability
- Evaluate your professional interview and work clothes
- Seek out professional organizations related to your field, especially those with student chapters; learn more about your future career
- Remember that Career Services is your’s for life! Alumni are always welcome to meet with us and use our services
Salaries By Major
Resume & Interviews
Career Exploration Tools
Visit Career Coach to explore your career path.
Candid Career Videos
Visit Candid Career videos for interviews with real working professionals about their actual experiences in their career.
What Can I Do with this Major?
Visit What Can I Do with this Major? to learn about the typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with your major.
Use Big Interview to learn and practice your interview skills. This is a great mock interviewing tool! Contact Career Services for an access code.
Helpful Career Services LinksAre YOU Career Ready? (What Employers Want - NACE Career Readiness Competencies)
Making Career Decisions
Equal Opportunity Publications, Inc (Career Information Resource)
Exploring Majors & Careers
Getting Experience - (Links to Jobs and Internships / Applied Learning ) How to spot a “Fraudulent” Employer - (NACE pdf)
Preparing for a Job/Internship Search - (Resume/Interview Booklets)
Planning your Success Ready Interview Attire (WCC Dress for Success Resource Partner)
Library Career Resources
LinkedIn for Students Guide
Refer a StudentAll students and former students, enrolled in credit and non-credit courses, are eligible to use all the services, for free, for life. In addition, immediate family members of staff and faculty are welcome to use the Services.
- Career Assessment
- Job Placement
- Applied/Experiential Learning Programs
- Recruiting Events
Request a Class Presentation
We specialize in conducting presentations to the classes you teach and the student organizations you advise. We cover a host of career-related topics, such as how to choose a career, resume writing, job-search strategies, and interviewing skills. In addition, we can arrange presentations by professionals who can discuss how their college majors impacted their careers. To arrange a presentation complete the form below and we will contact you.
As one of our local business partners, we encourage you to take advantage of all that Career Services has to offer. We can be a vital tool by providing you with prospective employees that have the most up-to-date training and knowledge to meet your continually growing business needs.
Reach our diverse and skilled students by participating in our programs and connecting with our students and alumni.
Westchester Community College educates and trains students to meet the ever-changing needs of a diverse marketplace. Through small classes and a SUNY award winning faculty, our students have access to 41 associate degree majors and 22 certificate programs. Visit the digital Catalog for a complete list of currently offered Degree and Certificate Programs.
Specific services to employers include on-going job listing services, job/internship fairs, informal on campus recruitment and career panels. All venues provide for the opportunity to network with our students and alumni and professional staff/faculty. This full service center helps students to bridge the gap from college to a successful career and assists employers in meeting their staffing targets.
Staff Your Business
|If you are interested in advertising a position for Westchester Community College students and alumni, please visit the College Central Network, the official and free online student/alumni job board and resume bank. After a brief, one time registration you will be able to list any FT, PT, Summer/Seasonal, Co-op/Internship and Freelance positions. The system also allows you to search the database of resumes and portfolios. Contact our office at 914-606-6760 if you have any questions|
|SUNY CDO, State University of New York Career Development Organization offers a free job listing service to employers. This site allows firms to electronically send job listings to all SUNY colleges. Students in the local area, as well as throughout New York State, can view your listing.. You can visit/register your jobs at the State University of New York Career Development Organization website.|
|Visit the College Internship Portal for Westchester and Putnam Counties|