TESOL Certificate Program
Meet the TESOL Program Director
Claudia Carco, who directs and teaches in the TESOL Certificate Program at Westchester Community College, has extensive classroom experience as an ESL/EFL instructor as well as a teacher trainer. For ten years, the program has successfully trained hundreds of students in teaching English as a second or foreign language and has seen the transformational impact it has had on their lives. The program’s experiential approach to learning to teach is a delicate and unique balance of careful observation, practice and reflection.
“There is something so very special about guiding others find their own voice and identity as teachers.”
The TESOL Certificate Program is a hands-on learning experience for those who will pursue employment in the field of TESL/TEFL in adult or college programs, in the non-for-profit or proprietary sectors in the USA or abroad. The program is also suitable for those with some teaching experience but no formal training in TESOL, or for teachers who wish to advance their knowledge of ESL methodologies and technology. Participants will examine fundamental principles of language teaching and learning and their practical classroom applications. This is a non-credit program that offers 126 hours of classroom instruction and extensive supervised teaching.
Participants will learn to:
- lead student-centered classes
- use a variety of materials and techniques
- effectively manage classes for adult learners
- plan dynamic lessons in areas of grammar, conversation, reading, and writing at different levels
- assess language proficiency
- 36 class sessions meeting Monday/Wednesday/Thursday from 6:30 to 10:00pm
- 3 12-week sessions per year: Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- 126 hours of classroom instruction and 30 hours of classroom practice.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is generally required.
- Advanced level of English proficiency. Assessment may be required for non-native speakers
- I-20 available to international students; additional course work may be required
- Satisfactory completion of all course work and supervised teaching
- Satisfactory completion of program portfolio
- Fill out an application here. Applications are also available at the ELI office or by email at TESOL@sunywcc.edu
- Submit a current CV or resume
- Submit copies of college transcripts/degrees
- Submit a 500-word essay explaining “Your Interest in Teaching English as a Second Language”.
Email your application to TESOL@sunywcc.edu or mail hard copies to:
Attn: Claudia Carco
Westchester Community College
English Language Institute
Gateway Center, Rm. 243
75 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, NY 10595
Step 2: You will be contacted within 3-5 business days. Once admitted into the program, we will send you a registration which you will return to us with payment.
Spring: January 13-April 13 (no classes 1/20; 3/9-12)
Summer: May 18-August 10 (no classes 5/25; 7/2)
Fall: September 16-December 10 (no classes 11/25, 26)
Tuition: $1,925.00 (textbooks not included).
Registration Fee: $5
FSA fee: $4.75
Claudia Carco, TESOL Certificate Program Coordinator
Office: (914) 606-7743