Message from Dr. Belinda S. Miles – A Great Week – May 19, 2017
Yesterday we celebrated our graduates with moving words from commencement speaker, Golden Krust CEO Lowell Hawthorne, who reminded students that drive and determination are essential for success. His inspiring story is one of triumph over adversity as he journeyed to become the largest distributor of a Caribbean food product in the US. Mr. Hawthorne started at a community college much like our students. He told students in the words of Jimmy Cliff, “You can get it if you really want it” – fitting instructions to tell students as they embark on new chapters in their lives. Many thanks to Adam Frank, his team, and our volunteers for organizing this wonderful milestone for our students. Our collective work from the first point of entry to successful degree and certificate completion is reflected in the success of our celebration yesterday!
We also welcomed 260 new guests to the college at our open house on May 16. A big thank you to Gloria De La Paz, the Admissions Team, Physical Plant, Faculty, and Staff, and all the volunteers who worked to make our open house a great success.
There’s been so much to celebrate this week:
- Davis Scholars—celebrating the high achievements of outstanding students from diverse backgrounds for education, international understanding, exchange, and service.
- GROW Conference—the County Executive, president of the Business Council of Westchester, and many area entrepreneurs met for a conference promoting business growth in Westchester.
- 36th Nursing Pinning Ceremony—where 22 students achieved a major milestone on their way toward health care jobs and many will transfer into BSN programs.
- Baseball team 4th consecutive regional championship—WOW!—congratulations to our players, coaches, and athletics staff.
- Touro College Articulation Agreement—which is a big opportunity to expand pathways into high-demand, high-growth healthcare fields with an extraordinary partner close by.
As we continue to build on our forward momentum, we look forward to welcoming Dr. Vanessa Morest, Provost and Vice President, on July 24, 2017. During the short time between Dr. Bradford’s departure and Dr. Morest’s start, I will serve as the interim vice president for academic affairs. Emails and correspondences that would normally go to Dr. Bradford, should now be sent to email@example.com. As today is Dr. Bradford’s last day, I take this opportunity to thank her for her strong record of service to the college and its students.
Another cabinet level change is anticipated for our Vice President and Dean of Administrative Services and CFO, Mr. Pat D’Imperio who will be returning to the District Attorney’s Office in June. VP D’Imperio has been a steadfast leader and steward of the college and we look forward to celebrating with him in June.
Thanks to the entire college community for all your work over this academic year! We have much to look forward to in the coming next academic year; together, we can accomplish great things.
Happy beginning of summer.
Dr. Belinda S. Miles