Message from Dr. Belinda S. Miles: Excellence and Values
September 21, 2018
On Monday, alongside every other public educational institution receiving federal funds, we celebrated Constitution Day with an engaging and educational program. Our program featured descriptions and depictions of the constitution, including how it has evolved over 230 years and what yet needs to occur. Our music students did a spectacular job performing selections from the hit Broadway musical, Hamilton. If you missed it, the students are scheduled to perform at the October meeting of the College Board of Trustees.
Latin American History Month kicked off with a program that included the presentation of the LAHM Appreciation and Leadership Award to Trustee Robin Bikkal in recognition of her outstanding contributions to higher education in Westchester County. Be sure to check the event calendar on the website for LAHM programs and events.
We displayed our excellence this week by welcoming the second incoming class of Honors College students, through a productive meeting with Regeneron about developing STEM education and career pathways in Westchester County, and in a visit with JP Morgan Chase Foundation, who referred to our financial education programs as “best in class.” Our community impact continues to impress!
The Board of Trustees endorsed our community values statement! Thanks again to everyone who submitted survey responses, shared ideas in meetings, and responded to calls for input. Thanks also to the ad hoc committee of Faculty Senate for coordinating the effort that culminated in this week’s board action. Here is the approved statement. Let’s work on sharing this widely with employees, students, and guests.
Westchester Community College Values Statement
1. To better ourselves and our relationships, we are committed to
- Personal Excellence – Promote life-long learning, academic growth and intellectual development.
- Respect – Support an environment of open, honest and collegial communication.
- Integrity – Expect personal accountability through ethical behavior.
2. To better our community and collective efforts, we are committed to
- Collaboration – Work together on the achievement of a common goal.
- Civic Engagement – Advance active involvement in the life of the community.
- Innovation – Encourage and empower a creative environment.
3. To better our society and our world, we are committed to
- Diversity – Fostering an inclusive community through acceptance and understanding.
- Environmental Sustainability – Protect, preserve, and conserve resources for the future.
- Empathy – Respond to each other’s views and opinions without judgement.
Dr. Belinda S. Miles