The TESOL Certificate Program is a hands-on learning experience for those who will pursue employment in the field of TESL/TEFL in adult or college programs, in the not-for-profit or proprietary sectors in the USA or abroad. The program is also suitable for those with some teaching experience but no formal training in TESOL, or for teachers who wish to advance their knowledge of ESL methodologies and technology. Participants will examine fundamental principles of language teaching and learning and their practical classroom applications. This is a non-credit program that offers 126 hours of classroom instruction and extensive supervised teaching.
Participants will learn to:
- lead student-centered classes
- use a variety of materials and techniques
- effectively manage classes for adult learners
- plan dynamic lessons in areas of grammar, conversation, reading, and writing at different levels
- assess language proficiency
- 36 class sessions meeting Monday/Wednesday/Thursday from 6:00 to 9:30 pm or 9am-12pm. Either in-person or online.
- 3 12-week sessions per year: Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- 126 hours of classroom instruction and 30 hours of classroom practice.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is generally required.
- Advanced level of English proficiency. Assessment may be required for non-native speakers
- I-20 available to international students; additional course work may be required
- Satisfactory completion of all course work and supervised teaching
- Satisfactory completion of program portfolio