Career Services 4-Semester Plan and Beyond
Are you confused about your career path and/or college major? Are you looking for a job or internship and would like help with your search?
The counselors in Career Services are here to assist you. Call, email or stop by the second floor of the student center and schedule a one-on-one career counseling appointment. Access our on-line career exploration, job search tools, and attend workshops and other events. Our goal is to assist you in achieving your desired career goals.
- Get an early start on your career planning by visiting Career Services to learn about potential programs and services designed specifically for first year students.
- Visit the Career Services website www.sunywcc.edu/career regularly
- Look for extracurricular opportunities and activities. The best way to make a smooth transition to college life is to get involved. This can also enhance your resume.
- Think about the types of activities and classes you have enjoyed so far to begin to get an idea about the topics and skills you are most passionate about
- Schedule a career assessment through Career Services to understand how your interests, values, skills and personality may relate to potential majors and careers.
We offer the following options:
- Career Coach
- FOCUS 2
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Strong Interest Inventory
- As you explore major and career options, talk to professionals on campus that have knowledge about the fields you are considering.
- Use our Candid Career tool to listen to professionals in your fields of interest
- Work with Career Services to develop a professional resume/cover letter
- Create a portfolio of academic and extracurricular projects and achievements that can be shared with potential employers
- Attend workshops and programs offered by Career Services to expand your knowledge of career and job related issues
- Go to the WCC library and find the career resource section
- Create an account on our online job board– CCN to look for summer jobs, FT/PT opportunities related to your career interests as well as register for workshops and programs sponsored by Career Services
- Find a mentor
- Conduct an informational interview
- Develop a professional online image; clean up any “digital dirt” on your current profiles
- Create a LinkedIn profile & E-portfolio documenting your involvement and accomplishments on campus and in your community
- Look at internship, applied learning and/or volunteer options to begin to gain experience in your field of interest and help affirm your career choice
- Learn about effective interviewing skills; review your accomplishments to develop your “one second commercial/Elevator Pitch”
- Practice your interviewing skills to increase your self-confidence
- Expand your network of professionals and keep them informed of your academic/career progress
- Apply for scholarships
- Create a profile on Collegefish.org (the completion and transfer tool for community college students)
- Review Career Readiness Competencies through Career Services
Final Semester & Beyond
- Polish/refine your resume and career portfolio
- Look for opportunities on the CCN job board
- Attend workshops specifically geared towards preparing for interviews and job fairs
- Complete a practice interview that is reviewed by a Career Counselor
- Attend the annual Career Expo
- Work directly with a Career Counselor to secure a FT or Summer opportunity; further enhancing your employability
- Evaluate your professional interview and work clothes
- Seek out professional organizations related to your field, especially those with student chapters; learn more about your future career
- Remember that Career Services is your’s for life! Alumni are always welcome to meet with us and use our services
Career Exploration Tools
Visit Career Coach to explore your career path.
What Can I Do with this Major?
Visit What Can I Do with this Major? to learn about the typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with your major.
Use Big Interview to learn and practice your interview skills. This is a great mock interviewing tool!
Contact Career Services for an access code.
Candid Career Videos
Visit Candid Career videos for interviews with real working professionals about their actual experiences in their career.