Academic Counseling Programs
Accent on Success (AOS) Program
For academically at-risk/restricted students whose cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, mandated counseling is required.
Chi Alpha Epsilon – National Honor Society
Students who hold a 3.0 cumulative GPA for 2 consecutive full-time semesters or 3 consecutive part-time semesters who began their studies taking one or more non-credit (remedial) courses are encouraged to join this prestigious National Honor Society.
Fresh Start Program
For students returning to Westchester Community College after a prior unsuccessful start and a lengthy absence, our institution offers the Fresh Start Program. Achieving success after an unsuccessful first try is not uncommon. Students find themselves unable to continue college for different reasons. The Fresh Start Program provides eligible students with an opportunity for academic success.
- To be Eligible: Student must not have enrolled for undergraduate courses at Westchester Community College for, at least, 2 consecutive years prior to returning.
- Criteria required to apply a student must:
- complete 12 undergraduate academic credits with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- be matriculated in a degree or certificate program.
- Application process: After completing 12 or more undergraduate academic credits with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, a student must see the counselor(s) responsible for the Fresh Start Program in the Office of Academic Counseling & Student Success to complete an application.
- Forgiveness after meeting the Eligibility and Application process:
- Once approved for a Fresh Start, all of a student’s grades of “D” and “F” earned prior to his/her return are excluded from their cumulative GPA and given asterisks (*) on the transcript. The excluded course grades cannot be re-included later t complete academic requirements. From the forgiveness point, the transcript will be marked with the term “Fresh Start”
- Fresh Start can be used by each student only once.
- An Academic Fresh Start will NOT automatically make a student eligible for financial aid. Please contact the Financial Aid office for further information.
- Fresh Start does not apply to any completed degree or certificate.