Personal Training Certificate
Personal Trainers are fitness professionals who educate clients of all ages in multiple aspects of fitness and wellness. They work in settings such as public and private fitness centers, schools, adult centers and corporate wellness programs. Graduates of this program will be qualified to work as personal trainers or fitness instructors, and subsequently, may sit for the certification exam through the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF).
Message from the Curriculum Chair
- Students may complete the Personal Trainer Certificate program; upon successful completion, students will obtain a Personal Training Certificate from Westchester Community College, and have the option to obtain the personal training professional credential by sitting for the national certification exam through the National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF).
- Lifeguard Certification through the American Red Cross.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification through the American Heart Association. Students will receive a two-year certification in BLS for Healthcare Providers and Heartsaver First Aid.
- The Milken Institute, in the 2007 article: “An Unhealthy America: The Economic Burden of Chronic Diseases.” predicts a 42 percent rise in chronic disease by 2023.
- Research conducted by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, concluded that healthcare spending will account for approximately 20 percent of the U.S. economy by 2021.
- Individuals over the age of 65 spend significantly more money on health care services than younger people, and will comprise nearly one-fifth of the population by 2050
- All students will participate in a Personal Training Internship.
- Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared/qualified to sit for the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF) credentialing exam, which is conducted at the conclusion of the program, the fee for this exam is $199.00, and is the student’s responsibility.
If you have a unique situation or additional questions, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to meeting you!
Sincerely, Richard F. Gennaro Jr., DC, CSCS, MFS, CFT
Allied Health Curriculum Chair,
Health & Human Performance Curriculum Chair,
Richard Gennaro, D.C.
Office location: Physical Ed. Bldg. - Room 37
Title(s): Curriculum Chair, Health & Human Performance; Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist; Master of Fitness Science; Certified Fitness Trainer
Department/Division: Physical Education/School of Health Careers, Technologies and Applied Learning
- C. - New York Chiropractic College
- S. - United States Military Academy
- Exercise Physiology
- Personal Training
- Health & Fitness for Life
- Trends in Fitness & Human Performance
- Exercise & Conditioning
- Selected to be the Memorial Day Speaker for the Town of Beekman, NY 5/2014
- ICA Arnold Schwarzenegger Legacy Award 2014
- Award for Distinguished Achievement, International Association of Firefighters 2002
- Gennaro R.F., Lipoff J. “Heads Up: Concussions are on the Rise”. ICA Journal of Sports Health Science (e-journal), (Spring 2016); 14-17.
- Flynn, D., Gennaro R.F. “Manipulation Can Ease Pain, Aid Flexibility”. Poughkeepsie Journal, Healthy Living Section, 1E, 2010.
- Gennaro, R.F. “Herniated Discs Often Respond Well to Chiropractic Care”. Poughkeepsie Journal, Healthy Living Section, 1E, 2010.
- Gennaro, R.F. “Anti-Aging and the Musculoskeletal System: Functional Analysis and Spinal Stabilization Exercise”. Anti-Aging Medical Therapeutics 5 (2003): 427-436.
- Gennaro R.F., McNergney, E. “The Importance of Teaching Stabilization”. ICA Review. (Winter 2002); 51-54.
- Chiropractic Sports Health Science. Stretching Safely for Optimal Health. Ed. Gennaro RF, Vahl, RJ and Van Egmond C. Arlington, VA: ICA Council on Fitness and Sports Health Science, 1999.
- Barone R.O., Gennaro R.F. Military Leadership Strategies: Inspiring a New 2016 Health Care Paradigm in: Patient Care, Wellness, Fitness Support. ICA Symposium on Natural Fitness & Sports, Columbus, Ohio
- Gennaro, R.F. Memorial Day Speech. Beekman, NY. 2014
- Gennaro R. F. NYCC Convocation. NY Chiropractic College, 20th Anniversary at 2011 Seneca Falls Campus
- Gennaro R.F. Maximizing Your Workout: What You Don’t Know May Hurt You ~ 2009 Supplements, Sports Drinks & Recovery. Gold’s Gym Performance Series, Poughkeepsie, NY
- Barnathan J, Gennaro R.F. Patient Exercise, Enhanced Recovery and Injury Prevention. 2008 ICA Symposium on Natural Fitness & Sports, Columbus, Ohio
- Gennaro R.F. Differential Diagnosis of Low Back Pain in Athletes. NYS Athletic Trainer’s 2006 Annual Meeting & Conference, West Point, NY
- Barnathan, J, Gennaro R.F. Personal Trainer Participation in the Chiropractic Practice: 2006 Strategies for Maximal Effectiveness. ICA Symposium on Natural Fitness & Sports, Columbus, Ohio
- Gennaro R.F. Functional Evaluation and Lumbar Stabilization Exercise. 2006 Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY
- Gennaro R.F. Introduction to Plyometrics. Gold’s Gym Coaches Series, Poughkeepsie, NY 2006
- Gennaro R.F. Lumbar Stabilization Exercise: Functional Analysis and Restoration of 2005 Function. Empire State Games/NYS Athletic Trainer’s Association Sports Medicine Symposium, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY
- Curriculum Chair, Health & Human Performance
- Faculty Senator, Department of Physical Education
- Co-Chair Curriculum Committee
- Common Read Committee
- Chair, Common Read Run-Walk-Roll Subcommittee
- Created Personal Training Certificate Program
Program Learning Outcome
About Westchester Community College