TESOL Certificate Program
The TESOL Certificate Program is a hands-on learning experience for those who will pursue employment in the field of TESL/TEFL in adult or college programs, in the non-for-profit or proprietary sectors in the USA or abroad. The program is also suitable for those with some teaching experience but no formal training in TESOL, or for teachers who wish to advance their knowledge of ESL methodologies and technology. Participants will examine fundamental principles of language teaching and learning and their practical classroom applications. This is a non-credit program that offers 126 hours of classroom instruction and extensive supervised teaching.
Participants will learn to:
- lead student-centered classes
- use a variety of materials and techniques
- effectively manage classes for adult learners
- plan dynamic lessons in areas of grammar, conversation, reading, and writing at different levels
- assess language proficiency
- 36 class sessions meeting Monday/Wednesday/Thursday from 6:30 to 10:00pm
- 3 12-week sessions per year: Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- 126 hours of classroom instruction and 30 hours of classroom practice.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is generally required.
- Advanced level of English proficiency. Assessment may be required for non-native speakers
- I-20 available to international students; additional course work may be required
- Satisfactory completion of all course work and supervised teaching
- Satisfactory completion of program portfolio
How to Register
Due to limited space, we suggest early registration
Step 1: Fill out an application, available in the ELI office or click here to download.
Hard copies should be mailed to:
Westchester Community College
English Language Institute
Gateway Center, Rm. 243
75 Grasslands Road,
Valhalla, NY 10595.
You will be contacted by phone or e-mail within three business days.
Step 2: We will send you a registration form by mail which you will return to us with payment.
Click here for flyer.
Spring 2016: January 20-April 18 (no classes March 14, 16, and 17)
Summer 2016: May 16-August 11 (no classes May 30; July 4)
Fall 2016: September 14 – December 8 (no classes November 23 and 24)
Tuition: $1,825.00 (textbooks not included).
Registration Fee: $5
FSA fee: $8
Claudia Carco, TESOL Certificate Program Coordinator
Office: (914) 606-7743