English as a Second Language
English Language Institute
What English as a Second Language (ESL) Courses are Offered?
Please select from the links below to view the latest ESL schedules.
Westchester Community College services over 5,000 English as a Second Language students, more than any other educational institution in the county. Ten levels of ESL instruction are offered at Westchester Community College. Each level provides balanced instruction and active practice in all English language skills: listening, speaking (including pronunciation), standard grammar, reading, and writing. New students take an examination to determine the level at which they begin study. Most ESL students use a language laboratory for additional practice. English-only environment for all activities promotes maximum learning. These courses serve the needs of the general learner and learners preparing for college/university study. Instructors are professionals in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Our courses are offered in Spring (January–April), Summer (May–early August) and Fall (September–December).
How To Register for an ESL Course
- Come to the ESL office or register by telephone. It is not possible to register for ESL classes by internet. Register at least three weeks in advance because some courses fill quickly.
Two convenient ways you can register:
- Register in person at the English Language Institute (“ELI”)in Gateway Center, Room 243. It is more convenient to pay by check, money order or debit/credit card (Mastercard, Visa or Discover). Cash payments are received on a limited schedule in another building.
- At the ELI in the Gateway Center obtain the information you need about courses & placement testing and complete a registration form and make payment. Note: To pay in cash, call 914-606-6656 for special schedule when cash is accepted.
- Register by telephone. Pay with MasterCard or Visa. Call 914-606-6656.
|Monday — Thursday:||9:00 am — 8:00 pm|
|Friday:||9:00 am — 12:30 pm|
|Saturday:||9:00 am — 4:00 pm|
The English Language Institute offers classes in a number of locations throughout Westchester County. Not all classes are offered in every location, so be sure to check the semester schedule.
Testing required if you are new or did not take final exam in the preceding semester. Placement test is given at 1st session of Saturday ESL, Evening ESL and Intensive ESL. You must already be registered for a class to take test. Testing information is provided at time of registration.
Immigration Form I-20
If you would like to come to the United States on an F-1 (student) visa, you may apply for immigration form I-20 through the English Language Institute. F-1 students study full-time (18 hours per week) in the Intensive English Program of the English Language Institute. The Intensive English Program is appropriate both for students who are interested in preparing for college study and for those who want to improve their English for personal or professional reasons.
There are two situations under which you may apply to be an F-1 international student:
- If you wish to apply at US Consulate in your country and enter the United States with an F-1 student visa., download the ESL I-20 application packet.
- If you are already in the United States and would like to change your immigration status to F-1 without returning to your home country, please call us at (914)606-6656 to discuss your situation before completing this application. (Note: Not all students are eligible to change their status).
For more information, or to request that an application be mailed to you, please call (914)606-6656.
NY / Westchester County Residency
All ESL tuition rates stated are resident rates. Residents have lived in NY State at least 1 year. If you have been in NY for the past 12 months, but live, or lived outside of Westchester County, call 914-606-6656. Non-residents are welcome, but pay tuition plus a non-resident surcharge of 150%.
TESOL Certificate Program
Get certified to teach English as a Second Language. An intensive 12-week program prepares you to teach ESL to adults in the USA or abroad.
Click here for details.
100% refund before 1st class
50% refund after 1st class
No refund after 2nd class
Once you enroll in the ESL Institute and reach Level 4 or above, you can request a Conversation Partner. Your partner will work with you one hour a week to improve your English speaking skills. You work in a relaxed, informal atmosphere on the Valhalla campus, helping to build your confidence and fluency. This program is provided as a free service by the Volunteer office.
It’s easy to apply for a conversation partner: Click here to download an application or pick up an application at the ELI office in GTW-243 or go to the Volunteer Office in Room S231 of Gateway.
“Something to Talk About” – Group Discussion Sessions
This is a series of small, group discussions led by a facilitator and available to Level 5 students and above. “Something To Talk About” will give you additional opportunities to practice speaking and will help you build confidence in a group setting. The Program meets on Wednesdays 12:15 pm and there is no cost to you.
For further information contact Robert Nechols, Director of the ELI, in Room 243 of the Gateway Center or come to the Volunteer Office in Room S231 of the Gateway Center.
English Language Institute
Westchester Community College
75 Grasslands Rd.
Gateway Center, Room 243
Valhalla NY 10595-1698 USA