TRIO Student Support Services
What is Student Support Services (SSS)?
Student Support Services is a federally funded TRIO program sponsored by the US Department of Education. SSS offers academic assistance to 165 students at Westchester Community College. The goal of SSS is to increase retention and graduation rates, and promote transfer to four year institutions.
- Eligibility Requirements
- Staff and Location
- SSS Application
- SSS Services
- First year student
- Accepted for enrollment/currently enrolled at Westchester Community College.
- Enrolled or placed in at least one developmental course.
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Highly motivated to graduate and/or transfer to a four-year college or university.
Additionally one of the following must apply to you:
- Family meets financial low income levels as determined by federal TRIO Program
- A first-generation college student (neither parent has a four year degree)
- A documented disability
Science Building room 335
Science Building room 336
Student Center room 201
Science Building room 329
How Do I Apply for Student Support Services?
There are three ways to obtain an application for Student Support Services. Once the application is complete, please return it to the address listed at the top of the form.
- Click to Download an Application.
- Send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Be sure to include your name, address and phone number so that we may send you an application through the mail)
- Stop by our offices in the Science Building – rooms 329, 335 or 336 to pick up an application in person.
- Potential financial grant aid
- Academic advisement/counseling
- Financial aid counseling
- Career counseling
- One-on-one tutoring
- Cultural programs
- Leadership and study skills workshops
- Employment/transfer assistance
- Course selection and registration
- Academic or personal counseling
- Financial aid assistance
- Career counseling
- Navigating the system
Need help with writing papers, a math class, or a science course? As a TRIO participant, you can receive individual or small group tutoring provided by a senior or peer tutor who is familiar with the requirements and expectations of Westchester Community College professors.
As a TRIO participant you will have opportunities to interact with other TRIO students and attend performances or activities that will enrich your college experience. Several of our students, along with TRIO staff, attended performances of “Grease”, “Phantom”, “Aida”, “CATS”, “Chicago”, “Miss Saigon”, “Meet Me in St. Louis” and “Oliver” at the Westchester Broadway Theater in Elmsford. We plan cultural excursions each spring.
Westchester Community College TRIO/ Student Support Services program is funded by a $234,635 U.S. Department of Education grant in 2012-2013. This program is funded 60% with federal funds and 40% with non-governmental sources to serve 165 students.
A Federally Funded Program