Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
Last updated on March 28th, 2021 at 07:09 am
What is the Educational Opportunity Program?
The mission of the EOP is to provide access, retain and graduate first generation college students who have the potential to succeed despite minimal preparation and limited resources. Offered primarily to full-time students who are New York State residents, the EOP accepts students who qualify, academically and financially for the program.
The following information will assist you in determining if you should apply to the Educational Opportunity Program. The EOP is designed for students who need individualized academic support and supplemental financial assistance. Eligible candidates will be asked to complete additional application materials and forms. Additional application materials and forms must be completed promptly and returned as directed.
To be eligible for admission to the EOP candidates must be:
- U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents (bearing a “green card”)
- New York State residents for 12 months prior to enrollment
- High school graduates or have a General Equivalency Diploma
- Eligible for admission under traditional standards, and demonstrate potential for completing a college program
- Entering their first semester of college
- Full-time students (minimum of 12 credits)
- Enrolled or placed in at least one non-credit course.
- Within the legislated income guidelines
- Enrolled in an Opportunity Program at your previous college (Transfer Students)
- Not accepted into another Opportunity Program at Westchester Community College (TRIO or Viking Roads).
In selecting students for the program, priority is given to candidates from historically disadvantaged backgrounds.
As part of the EOP admission process, your high school record, income information, and placement test scores (if needed) will be reviewed, as well as information which may have an impact on your education. This information will help EOP counselors evaluate your potential for success in a college program.
In order to determine if a student qualifies for acceptance in the EOP, copies of the following documents must be submitted:
- High school transcript
- College transcript (transfer students)
- High school diploma or GED
- Copies of most recent tax returns and W2’s
- Copies of parent’s most recent tax returns and W2’s (dependent students)
- Copies of Budget sheets (students on P.A.)
Potential EOP candidates should contact Mr. Alfred Quinones at (929) 352-0067(Direct Line) or email at Alfredo.Quinones@sunywcc.edu. To make an appointment to meet with Dr. Gwendolyn Roundtree email at Gwendolyn.RoundtreeEvans@sunywcc.edu
Educational Opportunity Program students will receive support services, such as academic, career, personal counseling, and one-on-one tutoring. As part of a student’s overall financial aid package, the Educational Opportunity Program provides a stipend in the form of direct aid which can assist with purchasing books, supplies, and transportation costs.
Application Fee Waiver
The $50 Westchester Community College application fee is waived for those eligible for admission to the EOP. Before applying to Westchester Community College, please contact Mr. Alfred Quinones, Administrative Assistant, Alfred.Quinones@sunywcc.edu
You are eligible for EOP as a transfer student provided you have been enrolled in EOP, College Discovery, HEOP (Higher Education Opportunity Program), SEEK (Search for Education, Elevation and Knowledge) or a similar academic and financial support program at your previous institution. If your previous institution did not have EOP or a similar program, you may be considered for transfer eligibility. Upon graduating from the EOP, you are eligible to apply to a four-year college/university opportunity program and your application fee may be waived.
General EOP Questions?
Drop in to see us or E-mail us.
Dr. Gwendolyn Roundtree Evans
The Gateway Center, Office G132
Alfred Quinn Quinones
EOP Administrative Assistant
The Gateway Center, Reception Area
Prof. Jayson Brito
The Gateway Center, Office 131A