Business Management AS – SUNY Transfer
Message from the Curriculum Chair
One of the most challenging aspects of college is choosing a path. There seem to be so many options, especially in the Business field. At WCC we offer three transfer degrees in Business – Accounting, Management, and Marketing. That should help narrow your focus a bit.
Within the Management program you can select a concentration. This means that you can take two classes to get a “flavor” for that field of study. Currently we have several concentrations in Management, including Global Business, Human Resource Management, Sales Management, General Management, and a track for students who would like to transfer to a SUNY or CUNY school.
Whatever your future plans may be, we have a starting point for you. As soon as you are ready, contact me or one of our outstanding Business Professors to schedule an appointment. We are here to help.
You have made a good choice – now take advantage of what is in front of you!
I look forward to meeting you.
Curriculum Chair: Richard Hyland
School: Business and Professional Careers
Academic Dept: Business
Information about the chair
Office location: Gateway Center - Room 340
Title(s): Associate Professor
Website : www.Hyland.org
- Global Business
- Global Marketing
- Business Organization and Management
- Supervisory Management
Mr. Hyland teaches in the Department of Business at Westchester Community College in Valhalla, NY. Prior to this he served as the Director of the College’s Cross County Extension Center for nearly a decade. Throughout his business career he has held a variety of executive and management positions in firms that specialize in e-commerce and emerging technologies. He served as a Project manager at Walker Digital, a high-tech think tank and patent company in Stamford, CT, where he helped to launch Priceline.com. His executive experience also includes a stint as Executive Vice President of CI4NET North America; CEO of Reward World.com; Executive Vice President at Unico Holdings, a tech incubator Stamford, CT; and Executive Vice President of Papps Capital Group, a Wall Street wealth management firm. Mr. Hyland served honorably for four years (active duty) in the United States Marine Corps Infantry, where he served as a Squad Leader. He was meritoriously promoted to the rank of Corporal, he was awarded a sea service deployment ribbon, a cold weather deployment ribbon, and a good conduct medal. He was also a cold-weather survival and mountain warfare instructor and was honorably discharged in 1989. Selected Publications and Presentations
- Hyland, R (2010). Perspective Transformations: The Good the Bad and the Descriptive. Plan to submit to Journal of Transformative Education, Submitted for presentation at Transformative Learning Conference, spring, 2011.
- Hyland, R (2010). Community College Teaching: The challenge in defining and measuring competencies. Presented at the Academy of Human Resource Development (AHRD) Conference, spring 2010.
- Hyland, R. et al. (2008). Cycling through time and Learning: How a doctoral cohort made meaning from a biographical/life histories class.
- Hyland, R. (2007). Strategic and Business Planning in Higher Education. CEANY Conference Keynote Address, 2007.
- Hyland, R., Gaines, G. (2006). Selected Challenges of Administering a College Branch Campus. Academy Chair Conference Paper, 2006.
- Co-Chair, Yonkers Workforce Investment Board Strategic Planning Committee (2006
- Director – Alpha Beta Gamma Business Honor Society Board of Directors (2006-Present)
- Director – Yonkers 55 Plus Board of Directors (2006-2009)
- Director – Yonkers Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (2005-2007)
- Member – Columbia Venture Community (20010-Present)
- Member - Developmental Education Advisory Council (2010 – Present)
- Member - Extension Center Task Force (2004–2009)
- Member – Marine Corps League of Westchester (Current)
- Member – University of Pennsylvania Alumni Secondary School Committee (2007-Present)
- Member – Wharton Club of New York – Wharton Entrepreneur Community (Current
- Member – Yonkers Workforce Investment Board (2004-05)
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education Visiting Team (2006)
Program Learning Outcome
About Westchester Community College
Nearly 33% of Westchester Community College students receive some form of financial aid. Financial Aid is available to students who qualify. In addition, the Westchester Community College Foundation offers $1.6 million in scholarships annually.
The Westchester Community College Athletic Department sponsors thirteen different intercollegiate athletic teams in various sports. The roster of sports offered includes Men’s Baseball, Women's Softball, Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Men’s and Women’s Bowling, Men’s and Women’s Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's and Women's Track and Field, Men’s Soccer, and Women’s Volleyball. Visit the Vikings Athletics website for schedules, reports, and more.
We’re accessible: Public transit-friendly main campus and extension locations. Online classes for wherever you are. Valhalla (main campus); extension sites in New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Yonkers, Shrub Oak, Mahopac, Ossining, Port Chester and Peekskill (Center for the Digital Arts) and White Plains (Center for the Arts).
Get More Information
Interested in learning more about Westchester Community College. Fill out this form: