About the Center
What Makes Us Unique?
- We are attuned to the development of each child, acknowledging their uniqueness and diversity. We provide a safe and healthy environment, both indoors and outdoors. Each child’s physical, intellectual, emotional, cultural and social growth is supported by our excellent teachers, the staff, and the curriculum.
- We provide a developmentally appropriate curriculum that nurtures a child’s sense of wonder, exploration and discovery. Your child also will have the opportunity to learn to play and interact cooperatively with other children.
- The children are encouraged to explore the natural environment, learn about science and math, and create through music and the arts. We partner with highly respected organizations to deliver quality programming in the nature and music venues.
- Because of our unique links to Westchester Community College, the Children’s Center is integrated with the Early Childhood and Food Services Departments of the College. This allows for both the teachers and the students to learn from one another.
- Parents are encouraged to take advantage of the unique experience of observing their child interacting in their very own classroom. We offer observation rooms in either wing of the Center for you to observe ‘first hand’ how your child is learning and interacting in the environment.
The Children’s Center plays a unique role at the college. We operate as a demonstration site for students in the Early Childhood curriculum, Human Services curriculum, and the Dietetic Technology curriculum. Field students take part in internships under the supervision of the lead teacher. We view the field students as an integral part of our program. As teachers, we are constantly learning and reviewing practices and ideas in the education field. Having students as part of our team enhances the work that we do.
The Virginia Marx Children’s Center at Westchester Community College provides services to children and families regardless of race, sex, handicap or national origin. For a child to be admitted to the Center parents must complete an enrollment packet. This packet includes:
- Registration form
Click here for online registration form
Click here to download the registration form in PDF format.
- General agreement form
- Policy statement
- Medical form, (completed by child’s healthcare provider)
- Medical agreement
- Photo release
- Medical emergency form
- USDA form
- Intake form, including a developmental history.