Work Authorization

Employment Options for International Students on F-1 Visas

Employment Option





Employment on campus Employment on campus with the school itself or with an independent company serving the school’s needs F-1 status Max 20 hours per week during school year, full time during vacation periods. Not required
Employment based on economic need Employment after one year of study if there has been an unforeseen change in your financial position (such as your country’s currency, loss of a scholarship, large tuition increase, etc.) F-1 status for at least one academic year, good academic standing, continued student status, unforeseen financial hardship, and/or inability to find campus employment Max 20 hours per week during school year, full time during vacation periods; permission granted for one year at a time. By USCIS
Curricular practical training (CPT) Employment as part of a student’s educational experience, offered by an employer through agreement with the school. F-1 status for at least nine months; (which can be waived for graduate student under certain circumstances), and/or continued student status. Limited to internships, co-op education, alternate work/study programs, required practicums. By designated school official
Optional practical training (OPT) Employment for up to one year after graduation in a job related to your field of study; OPT may start before graduation under specific circumstances. F-1 status for at least nine months; need not to have offer of employment. Not eligible if you have already worked for at least one year in CPT; OPT can only be for full time jobs. By USCIS and the designated school official
Employment through H-1B visa Temporary employment through H-1B visas for specialty workers; sponsoring employers must have documents on file with the U.S department of Labor certifying, among other things, that they will offer the employee on H-1B visa at least the prevailing wage paid in the same geographic area for the same type of job. Must have the offer of a specialty job from a qualified employer; must have the correct background for the job, incl. At least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Eligibility to work only for the H-1b sponsor; visa granted for up to three years at a time, subject to a maximum of six years. By USCIS

Please schedule an appointment with Anne Marie Verini to discuss employment options in detail.