Maintaining F-1 Student Status

In order to maintain your F-1 student status, there are a few rules you must follow. A student can easily lose their status if they do not follow these guidelines set up by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

  • You must be registered for 12 credits during the fall and spring semesters. Summer registration is optional and students may register for fewer than 12 credits if they take summer courses.
  • Students are permitted to withdraw from courses and still remain in status as long as the student withdraws from their course during the withdrawal period and they still are enrolled in at least 12 credits, they will remain in status. To withdraw from a class, the student must pick up a withdrawal form from the Registrar’s office and bring it to the Office of Foreign and International Student Services.
  • As an International Student, you cannot work off-campus unless you have authorization from the international student advisor and follow the guidelines for curricular practical training, optional practical training or extreme hardship. To discuss these possible options you must make an appointment with OIISA. If you accept employment off-campus without authorization, you risk losing your international student status and being deported for violating this status.
  • You must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average throughout your enrollment. If you are placed on probation, it is a warning that academically you may be dismissed. If you are academically dismissed, you may lose your student status. If you are placed on probation or academic dismissal, you should make an appointment with the international student advisor as soon as possible.
  • If and when you transfer, you must complete the transfer process within 30 days of the first day of class. Delays in turning in documents including the Transfer Recommendation Form will lead to the student falling out of status.