Out of State Students

On October 29, 2010, the United States Department of Education released a new regulation for higher education institutions as §600.9(c) State authorization. Beginning on July 1, 2011, Colleges and universities offering distance education to a resident of another state must meet that state’s requirements to be able to legally offer distance education in that state.

Westchester Community College is unable to enroll students in fully online programs from any of these states, that the college is unable to enroll them in any online class.

These limitations do not apply to hybrid or traditional courses however. Some disciplines, notably health care, social work-related, and education may have additional regulations that the home state imposes on online classes.  Please consult your home state’s regulations if you intend to enroll in any of these disciplines.

Students can find out whether their home state is one of those affected by contacting the Admissions Office (914) 606-6735 or

Westchester Community College prides itself of providing high quality college classes to anyone who applies.  However, we find ourselves in the unfortunate position of not accepting applications from potential students in the following states due to the requirements of those states:

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota

Complaint Procedure for out-of-state students

Westchester Community College strives to resolve any student issues in a fair, expeditious and amicable manner. Students residing outside of the State of New York while attending Westchester Community College’s online classes should attempt to resolve a complaint by first contacting the appropriate support department or the academic department that is responsible for the course.  However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your state. The following link is provided for out-of-state students.  It is a list of the official complaint resolution bodies for each state and the state’s procedures. Click here for the Complaint Process.