Reasons to Refer
CARE Team focuses on identifiable and evidenced behaviors as well as written or verbal expressions, and is not disciplinary in nature.
The CARE Team is designed to support individuals who demonstrate behaviors that may be early warning signs of possible troubled, disruptive, or violent behavior.
Reasons You Might Refer a Student to the CARE Team:
- Exhibits repeated concerning behaviors or expressions related to harming themselves or others
- Demonstrates hostile, aggressive, and/or violent behavior
- Previous attempts at offering support or intervention have not led to a change in student’s behaviors of concern
Do NOT Refer a Student to the CARE Team if:
- When behavior is threatening, immediate, and direct. In this case, contact campus security right away at 6-911 from a campus phone or at 914-606-6911 from all other phones.
- When the behavior can be managed through typical classroom management techniques.
- When a case has already been reported through the student conduct process.
- When a student is not presenting a risk to self or others, but may benefit from a referral to another support resource such as the Department of Mental Health and Counseling Services: DMHCS Faculty/Staff Referral Form
If you are not sure if a referral is appropriate, please reach out to the CARE Team directly at CARETeam@sunywcc.edu
If you are concerned about a student, you are strongly encouraged to reach out to the CARE Team. Refer a student by
- Completing a Student of Concern Report OR
- Sending an email directly to the CARE Team at CARETeam@sunywcc.edu.
The referral process is NOT for emergency use. If a behavior is threatening, immediate, and/or direct, contact campus security right away at 6-911 from a campus phone or at 914-606-6911 from all other phones.
Important note: While all cases referred to the CARE Team will receive an initial review, not every student referred to the CARE Team may be contacted directly by a Team Member. Cases may be referred to various support, engagement, safety, and/or health-orientated departments. The CARE Team works in conjunction with these areas in order to assess and mitigate risk and is NOT a replacement or substitution for these services. For more information, please contact us at CARETeam@sunywcc.edu.