DS Policies and Procedures
Policies and Procedures Downloads
- Policies and Procedures Download the PDF
- Audio Recording Procedures Download the PDF
- Remote Proctoring Procedures Download the PDF
- Remote Scribe Procedures Download the PDF
- Service Animals In Higher Ed Download the PDF
OUTSIDE AGENCY SPONSORED TUTORING
Policy and Procedures
All students enrolled in classes at Westchester Community College are afforded tutoring services at no cost through the Academic Support Center. However, some students with disabilities are sponsored for individual tutoring funded through outside agencies such as ACCES-VR or NYSCB.
If a student has been notified of tutoring sponsorship through the above agencies, the following responsibilities and procedures apply. However, policy and procedures may change if the tutoring process with ACCES-VR and NYSCB changes or if authorizations are discontinued.
- The student must discuss with their ACCES-VR counselor tutoring sponsorship.
- If the agency counselor agrees to consider tutoring and needs support from the WCC DSO counselor for the tutoring request, the student must make an appointment with a DSO counselor and be currently registered to receive academic accommodations for that semester.
- Prior to the appointment with the WCC DSO counselor, the student must provide, via email:
- evidence that WCC’s current tutoring services are not sufficient to meet their needs
- proof that the student has tried to access WCC’s current tutorials
- an explanation of why WCC tutorials are not sufficient
- an electronic copy of the syllabus for the course(s) tutoring is requested
- During the appointment with WCC DSO counselor, the student will discuss the evidence that was provided via email, subjects for which tutoring is requested and number of hours of tutoring per week the student expects to need for each subject (not to exceed 7hrs/wk. in total).
- If approved, the student will then work with ACCES-VR for referrals to tutors.
- Discuss tutoring sponsorship with NYSCB counselor, subjects, and number of tutoring hours per week requested.
- If approved for tutoring, work with the NYSCB counselor for referrals to tutors.
WCC DSO Responsibilities
- Upon request, the counselor will meet with the student to discuss and review evidence provided by the student.
- If appropriate, the counselor will email ACCES-VR or NYSCB regarding support for the student’s tutoring request.
- Student discusses ACCES-VR or NYSCB tutoring sponsorship with agency counselor. All coordination of tutoring sponsored by outside agencies (ACCES-VR and NYSCB) will be done directly through those agencies.
- Upon student request for an appointment, WCC’s DSO counselor will meet with the student to review evidence, previously provided by the student via email (as stated above in #3 of student responsibilities), of need for tutoring and discuss WCC’s support of outside agency tutoring requests.
- The DSO counselor will send an Outside Agency Tutoring Referral Form along with the course syllabus to ACCES-VR if the DSO counselor deems the request is appropriate.
*updated January 2021