Worried About a Friend?
Help a Friend
The Personal Counseling Department offers a 1-hour training empowering students to support their friends and friends who may be struggling. Our “Help a Friend” training educates students the signs of distress in their peers, how to take action to help their friends, and where to go if they need more support. Interested in getting trained? Email PersonalCounseling@sunywcc.edu for more information.
Reasons you might refer a peer to Personal Counseling
- Student Stated Need for Help or Support
- Observed Changes in Mood and/or Behavior
- Anxiety and Depression
- References to Suicide
- Traumatic Life Events or Changes in Personal Relationships (ie: death of family member)
- Drug and/or Alcohol Abuse
- Changes in Physical Health and/or Physical Appearance (ie: noticeable weight change)
How to Refer a peer to Personal Counseling
Fill out the Referral form below or email PersonalCounseling@sunywcc.edu
Tips for supporting a friend
- Let your friend know you are concerned and make specific observations.
- Use non-judgmental phrases and let your peer know you are there to listen.
- Let them know you appreciate them sharing and offer resources that can help (such as Personal Counseling). Even show them the sunywcc.edu/personalcounseling web page to give them more information.
- If you feel comfortable, be transparent about referring them to us and remind them that you care about them.
- Check-in with them as you can to see how they are doing and to encourage them to engage with resources.
How to get support for yourself
Supporting friends can be stressful and impact your own well-being. If you feel you need support, we encourage you to check out our Resources.