I Think I Know Someone Who Needs Support (For WCC Students)
IF SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS EXPERIENCING A MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS OR EMERGENCY,
CALL 914-606-6911 FOR CAMPUS SECURITY OR 911 FOR LOCAL POLICE.
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741-741
Reasons you might refer a peer to Personal Counseling
- Student Stated Need for Help or Support
- Observed Changes in Mood and/or Behavior
- Anxiety and Depression
- References to Suicide
- Traumatic Life Events or Changes in Personal Relationships (ie: death of family member)
- Drug and/or Alcohol Abuse
- Changes in Physical Health and/or Physical Appearance (ie: noticeable weight change)
How to Refer a peer to Personal Counseling
- Walk with them to Personal Counseling office (Student Center 224) to make an appointment.
- You can call 914-606-7431 or email PersonalCounseling@sunywcc.edu
- Fill out the Referral form below.
Tips for supporting a friend:
- Let your friend know you are concerned and make specific observations.
- Use non-judgmental phrases and let your peer know you are there to listen.
- Let them know you appreciate them sharing and offer resources that can help (such as Personal Counseling). Even show them the sunywcc.edu/personalcounseling web page to give them more information.
- If you feel comfortable, be transparent about referring them to us and remind them that you care about them.
- Check-in with them as you can to see how they are doing and to encourage them to engage with resources.