Community and Family Members Support
IF SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS EXPERIENCING A MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS OR EMERGENCY,
CALL 914-606-6911 FOR CAMPUS SECURITY OR 911 FOR LOCAL POLICE.
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741-741
Reasons you might refer a WCC student to Personal Counseling
- Student Stated Need for Help or Support
- Observed Changes in Mood and/or Behavior
- Anxiety and Depression
- References to Suicide
- Traumatic Life Events or Changes in Personal Relationships (ie: death of family member)
- Drug and/or Alcohol Abuse
- Changes in Physical Health and/or Physical Appearance (ie: noticeable weight change)
How to Refer a WCC student to Personal Counseling
Community members are encouraged to fill out the referral form below. A Personal Counselor will review the information submitted and will take appropriate steps to support the referred student.
Tips for supporting a WCC Student
- Let them know you are concerned and make specific observations.
- Use non-judgmental phrases and let them know you are there to listen.
- Let them know you appreciate them sharing and offer resources that can help (such as Personal Counseling). Even show them the sunywcc.edu/personalcounseling web page to give them more information.
- If you feel comfortable, be transparent about referring them to us and remind them that you care about them.
- Check-in with them as you can to see how they are doing and to encourage them to engage with resources.
How to get support for yourself
Supporting friends can be stressful and impact your own well-being. If you feel you need support, we encourage you to check out our Resources.