Theresa Cousins, MS, RDN, CD-N
Office location: STC – Room 211
Department/Division: Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Nutrition and Dietetics; School of Health Careers, Technology and Applied Learning
- MS, Columbia University, Nutrition and Public Health
- BS, Lehman College, CUNY, Family and Consumer Studies with an option in Dietetics
- Nutrition, (NUTR101)
- Dietetic Seminar (NUTR107)
- Nutrition A.D.N. (NUTR109)
- Nutrition Care 2 (NUTR115)
- Principles of Teaching Health Care (NUTR118)
- Clinical Practicum 1 (NUTR145)
- Clinical Nutrition (NUTR205), Introduction to Nutrition
- Care (NUTR211)
- Clinical Practicum 2 (NUTR245)
- Clinical Practicum 3 (NUTR247)
Honors and Awards:
- NISOD Excellence Award
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, State University of New York
- Alpha Omicron Nu Honor Society
Publications and Presentations:
Selected Papers and Presentations:
- Cousins, T. (2003, October) Folic Acid Update for Health Care Professionals WCC Teleconference coordinator
- Cousins, T. (2001, April) Nutrition-Pre Pregnancy, Pregnancy, Infancy. Lecture in Nutrition course of Marymount College at Bedford Women’s Correctional Facility, Bedford, NY.
- Cousins, T. (1999, October). Childhood Obesity: The New Epidemic. Teleconference coordinator and facilitator, WCC, Valhalla, NY.
- Cousins, T. (1995, November). Nutrition assessment and intervention for children with special health care needs. Presentation at Pediatric Nutrition Conference, Rockland Community College.
- Cousins, T. (1994, September). Providing nutrition services for children with special health care needs in the 90’s. Teleconference facilitator at WIHD, Valhalla, NY.
- Cousins, T. (1994, July). Nutrition for children with special health care needs. Presentation at Pediatric Nutrition Institute, New York University, New York City.
- Cousins, T., Moreland, C., Kaplan, E., Gallante, G. (1994, July). Interdisciplinary assessment and intervention of feeding problems for children with special health care needs. Panel presentation at Pediatric Nutrition Institute, New York University.
- Cousins, T., Moreland, C., Kaplan, E. (1993, January; 1992, June). Therapeutic feeding for school-aged children. Rockland BOCES.
- Cousins, T. (1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988 and 1987, December). Nutrition and Developmental Disabilities. Lecture in course entitled Pediatric Nutrition at New York University, NY
- Cousins, T. (1995, 1994, 1992). Nutrition and developmental disabilities. Lecture for Pediatric Residents, Westchester County Medical Center, Valhalla, NY.
- Cousins, T. (1992). Nutrition and developmental disabilities. Lecture for Family Practice Residents, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Cousins, T. (1991, October). Assessing the nutritional needs of a person with a chronic illness or disability. One day workshop for the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Binghamton.
- Cousins, T. (1991, June). Nutrition assessment. New Jersey Head Start Association and NYU Region II Head Start Resource Center Annual Meeting, Atlantic City, NJ
- Cousins, T., Sexton, M. (1991, May). Using the Ross Knee Height Caliper with a select group of children and adults with MR/DD. Original research presented at the AAMR Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Cousins, T., Dodds, J., Young, C., & Hogle, J. (1986). Systems approach to planning nutrition services, part I & II. Two educational videotapes that expanded and illustrated ideas and concepts described in manual Nutrition services for children with handicaps – A manual for State Title V programs.
- Cousins, T., Moreland, C., & Young, C. (1983). The dependent feeder: Nutrition and occupational therapy interventions for a profoundly developmentally delayed child. Educational videotape.
- Cousins, T., Lombardi, D. & Young, C. (1983). Nutrition in the news. Videotape produced for WDA.
Institution Service or Academic Service:
- 2015 – 2016 – Member, Academic Subcommittee, Faculty Senate
- 2014 – 2015 – Member, 2 Search and Screen Committees, Food Service Administration Department, WCC
- 2013 – 2014 – Chair, Search and Screen Committee, Department of Food Service Administration, WCC
- 2012 – 2016 – Department Representative, Faculty Senate, WCC
- 2008 – 2011 – Advisor, Food and Nutrition Club, Westchester Community College
- 2007 – 2008 – Member, Search and Screen Committee, Nursing Department, WCC
- 2004 – 2008 – Member, Scheduling Subcommittee, Faculty Senate, WCC
- 2002 – 2003 – Chair, Search and Screen Committee, Department of Food Service Administration, WCC
- 2005 – 2007 – Member, Nominating Committee, New York State Dietetic Association (NYSDA)
- 2002 – Present – ADAF Chair, Westchester Rockland Dietetic Association (WRDA)
- 2001 – 2003 – Member, Nominating Committee, NYSDA
- 2000 – 2002 – Immediate Past President, WRDA
- 1999 – 2008 – Department Representative, Faculty Senate, WCC
- 1999 – 2005 – Member, Marymount College Foods and Nutrition Human Ecology Program, Advisory Com.
- 1998 – 2004 – Member, Westchester Medical Center Internship Advisory Committee
- 1998 – 2000 – President, WRDA
- 1998 – 2006 – Member, Search and Screen Committees-6, Food Service Administration Department, WCC
- 1997 – 1998 – President – elect, WRDA
- 1996 – 1997 – State Professional Recruitment Coordinator (SPRC), WRDA
- 1994 – Planning Committee, MCH Nutrition Training Programs Workshop, DHHS
- 1994 – Advisory Committee, Summer Institute on Pediatric Nutrition, New York University (NYU)
- 1993 – 1999 – Volunteer Lecturer, American Cancer Society
- 1992 – 2002 – Member, Program Services Committee, March of Dimes, Northern Metro Chapter
- 1993 – 1995 – Member, Network of MCH Nutritionists
- 1991 – 1993 – Treasurer, NYSDA
- 1990 – 1992 – Co-Chair, Scholarship Committee, WRDA
- 1989 – 1990 – Chair, Nominating Committee, Dietetics in Developmental and Psychiatric Disorders, ADA
- 1988 – 1990 – Treasurer, Westchester Dietetic Association
- 1987 – 1989 – Nutrition Representative, Interdisciplinary Council, American Association of University Affiliated Programs
- 1987 – 1995 – Member, AP4 Advisory Council, NYU
- 1986 – 1996 – Coordinator/Facilitator, Prader-Willi Syndrome Family Support Group, WIHD