Professor Sheila Hanna
Office location: Classroom Building – Room 46
Department/Division: Department of Education, School of Business and Careers
- MS. Ed. (Administration/Early Childhood Education), Bank Street College of Education
- Child Development
- Foundations of Early Childhood Education
- Observation & Assessment
- Early Childhood Curriculum; Field 1; Field 3
Honors and Awards:
- Sophie and Joseph Abeles Curriculum Chair
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
- NISOD Excellence Award University of Texas
- Childcare Council of Westchester “Joey” Award
Publications and Presentations:
- Hanna, S. (1999) “Creating a Cozy Classroom.” Pre-K Today. Scholastic, Inc. New York.
- Hanna, S. and Theilheimer, R. (in press)
- “Reconceptualizing the Social Studies curriculum from all about me to action,” in Bloch, M.and Kessler, S. Reconceptualizing the Early Childhood Curriculum.
- “Who’s got the power? Rethinking social studies in the early childhood classroom. Board of Jewish Education Greater New York. Great Neck. NY. May 19, 2005.
- “I had it first! Making social dilemmas part of the classroom curriculum” (presenter, with Dr. Rachel Theilheimer,) National Association for the Education of Young Children 2002 Annual Conference. New York, NY. November 22, 2002.
- “Social justice: implications for curriculum development.” All Souls School, New York, NY. October 6, 2010.
- “ Rethinking Early Childhood Curriculum Courses.” Prospect Center for Research in Education. Bennington, VT. July 2015.
- “On Becoming A Teacher: A personal Journey.” Saturday Seminars for Educators. Sarah Lawrence College. February 6, 2016.
Institution Service or Academic Service:
- Chaired Human Service Departmental Committee , Fall 1999-Fall 2004.
- Served Search and Screening Committee:
- Human Services Department Field Coordinator, 1998
- Human Services Department Chair, 2001.
- Organized and brought noted speakers in Education to WCC for the Joseph and Sophia Abeles Endowed Chair for Early Childhood lectures.
- Member of African American Male Education Committee.
- Mentor Early Childhood Adjuncts and College Faculty.