Michael A. Skibo
Office location: Classroom Bldg. – Room 30
Title(s): Instructor of Psychology, Assistant Department Chair
Department/Division: Department of Social Science/School of Arts/Humanities, and Social Science
- Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology from the University of Rochester
- General Psychology
- Developmental Psychology – Childhood
- Developmental Psychology – Adolescence
Honors and Awards:
- 2015 – Edward Peck Curtis Award for Excellence in Teaching (University of Rochester)
- 2013 – Helen & Vincent Nowlis Award for Excellence in Teaching Psychology (University of Rochester)
Publications and Presentations:
- Sturge-Apple, M. L., Suor, J. H., Davies, P.T., Cicchetti, D., Skibo, M. A., & Rogosch, F. A. (in press). Vagal Tone and Children’s Delay of Gratification: Differential Sensitivity Across Resource Poor and Resource Rich Environments. Psychological Science.
- Sturge-Apple, M. L., Rogge, R. D. Peltz, J. S., Suor, J. H., & Skibo, M. A. (2015). Delving beyond conscious attitudes: Validation of an innovative tool for assessing parental implicit attitudes toward physical punishment. Infant and Child Development, 3, 240-255.
- Sturge-Apple, M. L., Rogge, R. D., Skibo, M. A., Peltz, J. S. , & Suor, J. H. (2015). A dual-process approach to the role of mothers’ implicit and explicit attitudes toward their children in parenting models. Developmental Psychology, 51, 289-300.
- Sturge-Apple, M. L., Suor, J. H., & Skibo, M. A. (2014). Maternal child-centered attributions and harsh discipline: The moderating role of working memory across socioeconomic contexts. Journal of Family Psychology, 28, 645-654.
- Sturge-Apple, M. L., Skibo, M. A., & Davies, P. T. (2012). Impact of parental conflict and emotional abuse on children and families. Partner Abuse, 3, 379-400.
- Sturge-Apple, M. L., Skibo, M. A., Rogosch, F. A., Ignjatovic, J., & Heinzelman, W. (2011). The impact of allostatic load on maternal sympathovagal functioning in stressful child contexts: Implications for maladaptive parenting. Development and Psychopathology, 23, 831-844.
Institution Service or Academic Service:
- Faculty Representative to the WCC LGBT Task Force
- Faculty Co-Advisor to the Psychology Club