Health and Human Performance
On behalf of the Department of Health, Human Performance & Physical Education, it is my pleasure to welcome you to the Health & Human Performance AS degree program. This innovative program provides both a strong foundation, and great flexibility to students interested in transferring to a four-year college with health, fitness, and wellness-related degree programs. The Health & Human Performance program also provides the opportunity to pursue entry-level careers in the rapidly growing, and dynamic fields of: Health, Fitness and Wellness.
Included in this degree program is the opportunity to achieve several Certifications:
- Students may complete the Personal Trainer Certificate program; upon successful completion, students will obtain a Personal Training Certificate from Westchester Community College, and have the option to obtain the personal training professional credential by sitting for the national certification exam through the National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF).
- Lifeguard Certification through the American Red Cross.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification through the American Heart Association. Students will receive a two-year certification in BLS for Healthcare Providers and Heartsaver First Aid.
Health & Human Performance is not only a fantastic field that offers great flexibility and job satisfaction, but it will be a critical factor in the future welfare of our nation. Chronic disease and escalating healthcare costs are crippling the economy:
- The Milken Institute, in the 2007 article: “An Unhealthy America: The Economic Burden of Chronic Diseases.” predicts a 42 percent rise in chronic disease by 2023.
- Research conducted by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, concluded that healthcare spending will account for approximately 20 percent of the U.S. economy by 2021.
- Individuals over the age of 65 spend significantly more money on health care services than younger people, and will comprise nearly one-fifth of the population by 2050
As chronic disease is largely driven by lifestyle choices, many of these costs are preventable. Health, Wellness & Fitness professionals are at the forefront in the fight for prevention & cost containment; they work with diverse populations to educate, motivate and lead their clients in healthy lifestyle choices and exercise.
- All students will participate in a Personal Training Internship.
- Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared/qualified to sit for the National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF) credentialing exam, which is conducted at the conclusion of the program, the fee for this exam is $199.00, and is the student’s responsibility.
If you have a unique situation or additional questions, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to meeting you!
Richard F. Gennaro Jr., DC, CSCS, MFS, CFT
Department Chair, Allied Health
Curriculum Chair, Health & Human Performance
Curriculum Chair, Personal Training
Curriculum Chair: Dr. Richard F. Gennaro, Jr.