Secretary I (Word Processing) BPS
The following positions require familiarity with the community college philosophy, and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: May 30, 2019
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Secretary I (Word Processing)-BPS
DIVISION: The School of Business and Professional Studies
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Secretary I (Word Processing) provides executive secretarial support to the Dean of the School of Business and Professional Studies, serving as the liaison between all the constituents of the School. The incumbent will provide confidential office coverage and handle details not requiring personal attention by the Dean, using discretion, tact and a comprehensive knowledge of college-wide procedures and policies. The Secretary I represents the Dean in contact with the public and employees; and acts as a liaison between School and other college departments and the public as necessary. The incumbent will also:
- Supervise subordinate office support staff and work study students; establish priorities and coordinates work activities to meet deadlines; assist subordinate employees with difficult operations to ensure timely completion; and review the work of clerical employees to maintain an orderly work flow.
- Implement college policies and procedures under the general supervision of the Dean, including (but not limited to) payroll, personnel, faculty/student issues, student and faculty complaints, security incidents, fire drills and building evacuations, building maintenance concerns and course enrollment statistics.
- Maintain records and prepares personnel transactions, forms and reports in support of managerial action; locate and supply records and supportive documentation upon request from the Dean, other college administrators or departments.
- Compose, prepare and date‑enter important and confidential correspondence, reports, charts, contracts, etc., such as budget documents, contracts, employee personnel and payroll records, requisitions, invoices, etc.
- Create spreadsheets, databases, records and presentations.
- Train new employees in use of office equipment and other office procedures.
- All other duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Possession of a high school or equivalency diploma and four years of experience where the primary function of the position was the performance of clerical functions, two years of which involved the use of Microsoft Office and other automated systems are required. The successful candidate must be able to create reports. Knowledge in creating spreadsheets, databases, records and presentations also required.
The successful candidate must also be detail and people-oriented as well as possess organizational and interpersonal skills. The incumbent must be able to complete work in a timely manner and meet deadlines for secretarial duties. Discretion related to confidential matters is also required. *This is a Civil Service position. The final candidate will be required to take and pass the Civil Service Exam.*
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $48,268 plus competitive benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. “You may apply by clicking here” or you may email your resume, cover letter, and three (3) letters of recommendation to email@example.com. Please indicate “Secretary I (Word Processing)-BPS” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
Administration Building – Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.