Instructor of Psychology
The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy, and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: February 14, 2019
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Instructor of Psychology (Tenure Track)
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Department of Social Sciences / School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
RESPONSIBILITIES: The School of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences seeks an innovative and highly motivated full-time Instructor to teach a variety of psychology courses. The Instructor will:
- Teach 5 courses (15 credits) per semester and hold 5 office hours per week.
- Develop new psychology courses and assist in updating/revision of existing courses.
- Assist in the assessment, review, and development of psychology offerings.
- Provide academic advisement to students.
- Keep abreast of trends in higher education and the field of psychology.
- Actively participate in departmental, school, and college-wide committees and activities.
- Demonstrate continuous professional development.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess a minimum of a Master’s degree in Psychology; a minimum of one year of college teaching experience in psychology as the instructor of record or primary instructor also required. The successful candidate must also demonstrate a record of:
- Innovation and enthusiasm in the classroom.
- Collaboration and collegiality among colleagues.
- Student-centered approaches to teaching and program development.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Integrating cross-cultural and multicultural concepts into all courses.
- Mastery of instructional technology.
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: A PhD in Psychology is preferred. Community college teaching experience in psychology also preferred.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: Fall 2019
SALARY & BENEFITS: Starting salary $64,841 plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates should send a cover letter expressing interest in this position, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy statement, sample course syllabus, copies of graduate transcripts, and 3 letters of recommendation. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. You may upload your documents by clicking “here.” Email applications and supporting documents should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Instructor of Psychology (Tenure Track)” in the subject line of the email or mail to: Director, Human Resources, Westchester Community College, Administration Building – Suite B42, 75 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, NY 10595; Fax: (914) 606-7838.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Priority will be given to applications received by March 22, 2019. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.