Preparing for the Essay
You should express your thoughts clearly and organize your ideas in
paragraphs so that they will make sense to a reader. Your essay should be
well developed with many specific details and at least two pages (four
sides) in length. Correct grammar and sentence structure are important.
Sample Essay Topics
- What is the most important decision you made this year?
Describe the effects of this decision on yourself and on another person
affected by the decision.
- Many serious problems threaten people in today’s world. Choose
the one you consider the most dangerous and explain what you think
should be done to solve this problem.
- Neighbors are the people who live near us. What are some of the
qualities of a good neighbor? Support your viewpoint with specific
details from your knowledge or experience.
- The United States is often described as a “melting pot” where people
from many cultures live and learn from one another, yet we frequently
hear of incidents of prejudice and discrimination. Is the U.S.
really a place where everyone has a fair chance and is treated equally
or do we still have some work to do in this area? Support your
viewpoint with specific details from your knowledge or experience.
- What are some important qualities of a good leader (government,
workplace, family OR social group leader)? Support your viewpoint with
specific details from your knowledge or experience.