is the mission of the ASC?
What courses do you provide tutorial services for?
Where is the ASC located?
Can I drop in or do I need and appointment?
Tell me about the tutors in the ASC.
What kinds of videotapes do you have?
Does the ASC have computers? What can I use them for?
Are Math classes taught in the ASC?
How are these classes different from traditional Math
I have heard the ASC offers Test-Anxiety workshops.
What are these?
Do you offer any other kind of workshops?
Are there other tutorials at Westchester Community College? Where are they located?
What is the mission
of the ASC?
Our goal is to help students become successful,
confident, independent learners. Therefore, the ASC provides ongoing
tutorial assistance for students taking remedial/developmental and
college courses in Math, Reading, ESL, Science, and Writing.
What courses do you
provide tutorial services for?
The ASC provides tutorial services for Pre-Algebra, Beginning
Algebra, College Algebra: Functions and Models and College Algebra w/Trig,
Foundations of College Reading, Analytical Reading, ESL Basic Writing, ESL Advanced Writing, Upper Level ESL Institute
courses, Biology I/II, Biological Science I/II, Principles of Inorganic Chemistry, Inorganic
Chemistry I/II, Anatomy and Physiology I/II, Microbiology, Writing Across
the Curriculum, Basic Writing I/II, and Composition & Literature I/II.
Where is the ASC located?
For Math, Reading and ESL come
to the Library - ground floor. The Science Tutorial is
located in the Science Building Room 219. The Writing
Tutorial is located in the Library - ground floor, room G-13.
Can I drop in or do I need
You can drop in, no appointment is
needed. However, students can make a 30 minute appointment to work with a tutor in the Writing
Tutorial only. Please note, it is important to sign-in on the computer at the front
desk when you come. Your instructor will get a copy of an attendance record.
Tell me about the tutors
in the ASC
Most of our tutors are Senior Tutors, all have Baccalaureate degrees, many have Masters degrees and are adjunct instructors. We have several Peer
Tutors on staff who are currently students at Westchester Community College. Some of our Tutors are
Westchester Community College Foundation Volunteers.
What kind of videotapes do
Our video collection consists of
several tapes on a variety of subjects.
- We have math videos, that teach and
reinforce the skills taught in Pre-Algebra, Beginning Algebra and College
- We have reading comprehension videos, such
as Finding the Main Idea, Making Inferences, etc.
- We have study skills videos, such as Time
Management, Study Tips, Test Taking Tips, etc.
- We have speech pronunciation videos for
- We have additional Math videotapes for
specialized topics such as Trigonometry.
- We have Anatomy and Physiology videos for
specialized topics such as Connective Tissues.
Does the ASC have
computers? What can I use them for?
Students can use our computers to do their schoolwork. Students can also use our software to supplement classes.
The following programs are available:
- The Guides: a program designed to improve
your reading comprehension and study skills. Topics include Understanding
Text, Textbook Reference, Vocabulary and Memory Skills.
- Focus on Grammar: designed to improve
writing and grammar skills, primarily for ESL students.
- One Step at a Time: designed to help
developmental students reinforce their composition writing techniques.
- Writing Skills: designed to develop writing skills, dictionary skills, research and word usage.
- Basic Composition: designed to improve grammar skills: parts of a sentence, paragraph structure and spelling.
- Easy Writer: intended for ESL and English students to improve their writing and grammar skills.
- Reading Road Trip: created to help developmental students strengthen their reading and comprehension skills.
- Students also have access to MathXL, and MyMathLab on
- Benjamin Cummings Interactive Physiology:
reinforcement and understanding of the physiology and anatomy of human
We also use the computer to conduct workshops
for various Math, Reading and ESL classes.
Are Math classes
taught in the ASC?
Yes, there are Pre-Algebra classes taught by faculty using videotape technology
and tutorial assistance.
How are these classes
different from traditional Math classes?
Students learn independently at their
own pace, with a combination of teaching, tutoring and video
I have heard that
the ASC offers Test Anxiety workshops. What are these?
These workshops are designed to reduce test anxiety, improve test
taking skills and increase test confidence. Topics include:
- Reducing Test Anxiety
- How to Study for Tests
- How to Take Tests
- Memory Skills
Call or stop by for a schedule or click here.
Do you offer any other
kinds of workshops?
Yes, we also offer:
- Final Exam Q&A workshops for Math and
Reading at the end of the semester.
- Topic-specific workshops are offered in
Math, Reading and ESL during the semester. Examples of these include:
- Factoring (Algebra)
- Graphing Calculator Usage
- Finding the Main Idea (Reading)
- Punctuation and
Are there other tutorials
at Westchester Community College? Where are they located?
Yes, there are several
services here at
- Accounting, located in Classroom Building, Room
- CIS Tutorial for students in word-processing,
- Language Learning Lab and English for the
- Open Computer Lab, which serves all computer
is in the
click on the