Refund Policy for Undergraduate Academic Courses
- In the event the college cancels a course, 100% of tuition and refundable fees will be refunded. Please see the list of non-refundable fees below.
- Depending on the length of the session and when the course is dropped by a student, the student will be refunded a percentage of tuition only (not fees), according to the schedule below.
- As of the first day of any session (whether it be on the main campus or at an extension site), students who fail to make payment or other arrangements to cover their full account will be responsible for the charges incurred according to the refund schedule. If you do not plan on attending Westchester Community College, you must drop your classes prior to the first day of the semester in which you are registered in order to qualify for a 100% refund of tuition and refundable fees. If you do not, all tuition and fees are your responsibility.
Refund Policy – 14 and 15 week semesters (Fall/Spring Semesters Including Distance Learning courses & 14 week Extension Sites)
|When Course Is Dropped||Refund Amount|
|Before official start of the semester.||100% *|
|During the first week.||75% (Tuition Only)|
|During the second week.||50% (Tuition Only)|
|During the third week.||25% (Tuition Only)|
|After the third week.||No Refund|
Please see list of non-refundable fees below
Refund Policy – Courses held for LESS than 14 weeks (Including Distance Learning & Summer courses)
|When Course Is Dropped||Refund Amount|
|Before the official start date of the session (NOT the first class meeting)||100% *|
|First five calendar days of session||25% (Tuition Only)|
|As of the 6th day of the session.||No Refund|
NON Refundable Fees
All fees listed here are non-refundable:
Registration fee, Administrative Payment Plan fee, Application fee, Assessment fee, Add/Drop fees, Late Registration fee, Return Check Fee. Note: After the semester’s start date the FSA fees, FSA Equipment fee, FSA Cultural Arts fee, Paramedic fee, Lab fee, and other Malpractice Insurance fees.
Appeals to the Refund Policy
Appeals to the refund policy will only be considered for one of the following reasons:
- Federal service, military enlistment or changes in military orders
- Death of the student or immediate family member
- Medical related (documentation must be submitted to Health Services)
- Other extenuating circumstance (family hardships, sudden change in work schedule, administrative error)
The following will not be considered by the Refund Committee for a refund appeal:
- Dismissal for academic or disciplinary reasons.
- Dissatisfaction with a course’s scheduled meeting time, location, or instructor’s mode of instruction.
- Discontinued attendance or failure to attend a course at all. Students are responsible for officially dropping or withdrawing from courses.
- Failure to follow college policies and procedures available for review within the college’s handbook, catalog or @ MYWCC.sunywcc.edu.
- Failure to meet published dates and deadlines regarding registration, payment, drops and withdrawals.
- A tuition liability resulting from Late Registration (on or after the first day of the session, regardless of attendance).
- Failure to review registration information for accuracy, tuition and payment policies.
- Failure to seek academic and financial advisement before registering for a course.
How to File your Appeal
In order to submit an appeal to the refund policy, a student must provide proof/documentation of an extenuating circumstance beyond their control.
Follow this link to complete the Refund Appeal Request Form in its entirety (directions for filing an appeal due to medical reasons are also located here). You can submit the form directly online or follow this link to download, print and mail to:
Westchester Community College
Administration Building, room 107
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
PLEASE NOTE! ALL REFUND REQUESTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITHIN 90 DAYS AFTER THE END OF THE TERM IN QUESTION. Requests submitted after 90 days will not be reviewed.
PLEASE NOTE! Students whose accounts have been turned over for collection or are already in the collection process cannot appeal the refund policy.
- The Refund Appeal Committee is comprised of representatives from the Bursar, Financial Aid, Registrar, Counseling, and Health Services.
- The Committee regularly meets twice per month, unless additional meetings are necessary.
- All members review all appeals and supporting documentation, except for those containing medical documentation, which is only reviewed by the Health Services representative. (If you are submitting an appeal due to medical circumstances, follow this link to the Medical Refund Appeal Request Form
- All committee decisions (approved or denied) are communicated to the student to the email address provided on the Refund Appeal Request Form
- If your appeal for a refund is approved, please allow 14 business days for processing.
- The decision of the Committee is final.