Registrar Q&A


What is the Registrar’s Office?  What services do you provide?
The mission of the Office of the Registrar is to provide quality support services to students. This includes, but is not limited to, processing official transcripts and official letters of enrollment for students; assisting students and faculty with registration functions, including attendance and grade processing; and conducting final graduation certifications and producing diplomas for graduates. The Registrar insures the accuracy, integrity, confidentiality and security of academic records at the College. 

Where are you located and what are your office hours?
The Office of the Registrar is located in the Administration Building, room 107 (across from Parking Lot 1 and the Gateway Center Building).  For Fall, Spring and Winter terms, our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am until 7:30 pm and Friday from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm.  During the summer, please note that the office closes at 12:00 noon on Fridays.

What is your contact information?

The main office email address is .  For transcript questions, please direct emails to .

The main phone number for the office is 914-606-6810.  This will connect you to an automated menu with important information about our most commonly asked questions.  You also will have the option to speak directly to a Registrar staff member at any time.

Phone menu shortcuts:

  • Press 1 for transcript information
  • Press 2 for MyWCC userID & password information
  • Press 3 for information on checking your grades online
  • Press 4 for graduation information
  • Press 5 for TAP certification information
  • Press 6 to speak directly to a Registrar representative
  • Press 8 to have options repeated
  • Press 9 to return to the main menu


Are there How-to Guides available listing specific steps and screen-shots for using various MyWCC functions?
Yes.  Please click here. 


What are the dates for registration? The beginning and end dates of the semester?
For all dates, please see the Academic Calendar at

Where can I access the course catalog and the current schedule of classes?
The Course Catalog is currently available online at  The course catalog has information on all of the College’s degree and certificate programs; it also contains course descriptions and prerequisite requirements. The catalog is available online only; printed copies of the catalog are no longer published. To access the current schedule of classes on the College website, go to  and select ‘Search for Classes’.

I studied at Westchester Community College in the past, but haven’t taken classes in a while. What do I need to do for readmission?
Returning students can register online at if they have attended the College within the last 2 years. If it has been more than 2 years (but less than 7), students must have their account reactivated. In order to have your account reactivated, you can go to the Registrar’s Office or contact them at; you will need to fill out a form. Reactivation can also be done at the Mt. Vernon, Yonkers Cross County, Peekskill, Ossining, and Center for the Arts Extension sites.

If a student has not taken classes for 7 years or more, he or she will need to submit a Student Readmit Form to the Admissions Office or one of the above extension sites. Students who have been out more than 7 years will also need to submit proof of high school graduation again. They will not need to pay the application fee again.

What services are available online on the MyWCC student portal?
At, you can manage all your school-related activities. You can add, drop, or swap classes, search for classes, view your class schedule, check course availability, withdraw from classes, check balances, pay bills, check financial aid status, manage personal information, print out receipts, view progress toward degree requirements, and manage your personal information. Note: New, matriculated students must register with a counselor.

I forgot my MyWCC logon information; how can I get help?
You can contact the MyWCC Student Helpdesk at

If my GPA is less than 2.0, can I register on MyWCC?
Students who have a GPA less than 2.0 are will have a registration block on their record and will not be able to register online; they must speak with a counselor in order to have the block lifted and be able to register. They can see a counselor on a walk-in basis in the Student Center, Room 219 or call them at 914-606-7857.

I see holds listed on my MyWCC account. What do I do?
In order to see what particular hold is on your account, please check your MyWCC account. Click on the hold for a description of action required to remove the hold. Each hold will direct you to a particular office—only the office that issued the hold can remove the hold.

I’m registering for an online class. Is there anything particular I need to know?
Please visit for information related to online courses.

Where can I register in-person for credit classes?
You can register in-person at the Registrar’s Office in Valhalla, or any of the hub Extension Sites (Mt. Vernon, Yonkers Cross County, Center for the Arts, Ossining, or Peekskill).

How do I find out what textbooks I need for class?
Visit the campus bookstore or click here and select ‘Order Your Books Online’; you’ll need to know your course and section numbers.

Can I audit a credit class?
Yes. You must register as usual and pay the regular tuition rate and then inform your professor at the first meeting of the class that you would like to audit the course. (Your professor will have to agree and will give you a final grade of “AU” for “Audit”.) There is a special rate for senior citizens – please click here for information on registering through Mainstream.

What is considered full-time enrollment?
Enrolling for 12 or more credits is considered full-time, while anything less than 12 is considered part-time.

Can I register for a science lecture without the accompanying lab?
No. You must register for both. If you failed one part of the course, you must take both parts again to improve your grade.

Do I pay for zero-credit College preparatory courses (ie. Pre-Algebra, Beginning Algebra, Foundations of Reading) and will I earn a grade?
Basic Preparatory classes for Math and English are charged at the normal per credit tuition rate. They will appear on your record with a grade, but do not earn you any academic credits. They are considered in determining your status as a full time or part-time student. 


What is the difference between official and unofficial transcripts?
Official transcripts are used to verify your grades to other institutions. These come with an official college seal to signify authenticity. Students are required to submit an official request and pay a fee for official transcripts (see below for fee info.). An unofficial transcript is simply a printout of all of a student’s grades at the College to date and can be printed from your MyWCC account.

How do I get a copy of my official Westchester Community College transcript?
Official transcripts can be requested online, through the mail or in person at the Registrar’s Office. To order online, go to or log into your MyWCC account and click the “Order Your Transcripts Online” link.  You will need a valid major credit card in order to use this service. To request an official transcript by mail, you can complete the request form available at  or you can mail the Registrar’s Office a letter with your name, Student ID number, dates of attendance, complete addresses where to mail each transcript, and complete payment for your order (see below). Checks and money orders (made out to WCC) are the only forms of payment accepted through the mail. If you come in person to the Registrar’s Office, you can either choose to pick up your transcript the next business day or have it mailed. Please note that you cannot get an official transcript the same day you come in to order it—it takes one business day to process.

What is the fee for an official transcript?
The fee is $10 per transcript.

If I’ve been out of school for a few years and don’t have a MyWCC account, how can I access my unofficial transcript?
You can go to the Registrar’s Office and they will give you a copy or you can email the Registrar’s Office at and request that one be mailed to you. Unfortunately, you will not be able to access your record online.

Can I send someone else to pick up my transcript for me?
Yes, but only if you provide that person with written authorization to submit to the Registrar’s Office. The person picking up the transcripts will need to present photo ID.

Can the College send my transcripts by Express Mail/FedEx?
FedEx delivery is available only through the use of the online ordering service.  


How can I get a letter stating I’m officially registered at the College?
You can get this from the Registrar’s Office once you are registered and have paid the tuition in full for a particular semester. If you cannot come in, please contact the Registrar’s Office and they will mail one to the student address on file. If at all possible, please wait until registration is over as the lines will be long. When a student requests a verification letter in person, it is generally done while the student waits.

How would an employer/ agency be allowed to verify my record from the College?
If there are any employer/background checking agencies that need to verify your degree/ enrollment here, students would first need to either fax or mail a signed release to the Registrar’s Office. 


What is the refund policy?
The refund policy is available on the College website on the Bursar pages- go to ‘Student Services’, then ‘Bursar’s Office/Payment’.

If I feel I have some extenuating circumstance; how do I petition for more of a refund than I might have originally qualified for?
Please review the College’s Refund Policy at for all the instructions on how to file a petition. If you qualify to file a petition, you will need to email your petition and supporting documentation to the Refund Committee at Petitions can also be hand-delivered or mailed directly to: WCC’s Refund Committee c/o Registrar’s Office, Administration Building Rm. 107 75 Grasslands Rd., Valhalla, NY 10595.

How do I withdraw from classes?
You can withdraw from a class on your MyWCC portal account. When you drop a class during a week when you can still get a full or partial refund (see refund schedule referenced above), no grade is assigned. Through the end of the withdrawal period (see for exact date), you can drop a class on your MyWCC account without academic penalty and will automatically receive a grade of ‘W’ on your transcript. You must see an academic counselor to withdraw from developmental classes.


How can I access my grades?
Grades are available online on your MyWCC account– they are not mailed out. On your MyWCC account, click on the “STUDENT CENTER” link located near the top of the page, in the middle. Under the drop-down menu in the “ACADEMICS” section, select “GRADES”. 


How can I change my address in my school records?
If your move does not involve a move into or out of Westchester County, you can change your address directly in your MyWCC account by selecting your address and then selecting “edit”. Alternately, you could send a letter with your name, student ID number, and current address to the Registrar or come into the Registrar’s Office and fill out the proper form. Please note that if you are moving into or out of Westchester County, you must bring documentation to the Bursar’s Office in order to change your address. All students on an F-1 Visa must contact Anne Marie Verini (GTW 134, 914-606-8567) in order to change an address.

How do I change my name in my school records?
You need to either bring in or mail a copy of your marriage/divorce certificate or other court documentation to the Registrar’s Office.

How do I change/correct my social security number in my school records?
You need to either bring in or mail a copy of your Social Security card to the Registrar’s Office.

How do I change my curriculum/major?
Click the links below to download the forms. Once they are filled out, bring them to the Registrar’s Office.

Change of Major Form

2nd Program & Plan Form


How do I apply for graduation?
You can apply online by signing into MyWCC and clicking “Apply for Graduation” in the dropdown menu under “ACADEMICS”—you will receive an email at your WCC-given address if you are eligible to apply.   Or, you can always go to the Registrar’s Office to apply in person.

Once I graduate, will my diploma be mailed to me?
No. You will receive an email at your WCC-given address indicating your diploma is ready for pick up in the Registrar’s Office. You are required to show a photo ID in order for your diploma to be released to you.

Can I send someone else to pick up my diploma for me?
Yes, but only if you provide that person with written authorization. They will need to bring photo ID.

When is the deadline to apply for graduation?
In general, the deadline for a December graduation is in mid-November, for a May graduation is in mid-February, and for an August graduation is in mid-July. Please visit or contact for exact deadlines. There is one commencement ceremony each year in May.

I am participating in the May graduation ceremony. How do I find out details about the ceremony?
You will receive information via email to your WCC-given address later in the semester, generally in March. If you have any questions in the meantime, please visit or contact the Student Involvement Office in the Student Center, room 103 at (914) 606-6731.


How do I check the status of my TAP award?
To check on the certification of your TAP award, please go to your Student Center at MyWCC.  Select the “View Financial Aid” link, choose the appropriate year, and then click on “View Financial Aid Status” for the current semester.  Be aware that TAP certification requires two steps – academics and attendance.  A ‘Pending’ status means that you have met all initial academic requirements, but still need attendance verification posted by faculty during the semester.  Final certification will begin after all attendance is received for a term or session, and your status will then change from ‘Pending’ to either ‘Certified’ or ‘Decertified’.