Residency Requirements

Foreign students on the following visas do not qualify for the residence rate: F1 (student), B1, B2, B1/2 (visitor), J1, J2 (exchange), C1, C1/D, C2, C3, D, F2,H2A, H2B, H3, H4 if on H2/H3, M1, M2, Nato 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 02, P1, P2, P3, P4,Q, R1, R2, TN, TD visas.

In order to qualify for the lower resident tuition rate, students on visas other than those listed above MUST:

  1. Be a resident of New York State for at least one year
  2. Be a permanent resident of Westchester County for at least six months
  3. Qualify for the resident tuition rate under New York State July 2002 legislation for undocumented and out-of-status students.
  4. Present a Certificate of Residence issued by the Chief Fiscal Officer of your home county in New York State.

A New York State Resident whose legal residence is not Westchester County must present a Certificate of Residence signed by the Chief Fiscal Officer of his/her county of residence at the time of registration or pay the non-resident tuition rate.

If you have resided in more than one county in New York State during the last six months, you must obtain a Certificate of Residence from each county.

Students who live outside of New York State must pay the non-resident tuition rate.

A signed Certificate is valid for only one year from the date of issue. (see Application for Certificate of Residence). Please check with the Chief Fiscal Officer of your home county concerning the issue date.

Note: A person does not acquire a New York State Domicile (Legal Residence) simply by being physically present in New York State for a period of 12 months or for the sole purpose of attending a New York State College or University.

Completed forms can be faxed (please include your name, address and telephone number on the cover sheet) to the Bursar’s Office using 914-606-6686 or scanned and attached to an email directed to