JobSTAR is a collaboration between Westchester Community College and the Westchester County Department of Social Services. Since 1990, JobSTAR has been providing educational training, assessment, case management, job placement and other related services to individuals and families of low income or those who are receiving Public Assistance.
JobSTAR currently offers the following programs:
- Academic Prep Program
- Adult Basic Skills Workshop
- Food Preparation/Sanitation Certification
- Integrated Applications for Today’s Office Environment
- TABE Testing
- Weekend Academy
- Westchester Community College
Eligibility for JobSTAR assistance requires that recipients are:
- Residents of Westchester County and
- Receiving TANF benefits or are TANF eligible.
The Benefits to Participants
- Permanent Job Search Assistance – Once you become involved with JobSTAR we will continue to work with you whenever you want or need to seek new/better employment. We will keep your resume on file for easy update and we are always available to help you identify new job opportunities.
- Flexibility – JobSTAR programs are scheduled on the weekends to allow you to job search or continue working at your current job.
- Better Job Prospects – You will be more marketable because you will have achieved additional skills/education.
- Confidence – You can practice and get better each day before using your new skills in a business environment.
- On-site Childcare While You Learn – JobSTAR’s Weekend Academy provides your children (ages 6-14) with a safe, enjoyable experience while you are in class. This program is offered on Saturday’s only.
- All comprehensive, hands-on courses are taught by Westchester Community College adjunct faculty. All learning materials are included. Absolutely NO COST to those who qualify.
Program made possible by funds provided by the Westchester County Department of Social Services. For more information please call 914-606-6437 or email email@example.com.
Academic Prep Program
Academic Skill Enhancement
This program offers workshops to assist eligible participants help in improving their math and writing/reading skills so they can achieve appropriate scores on the college’s Placement Test to receive Financial Aid to enroll into Westchester Community College the following semester.
- Students cannot be in loan default
- Students must be eligible for financial aid
Classes begin: September and January
Classes meet: Monday- Friday at Westchester Community College
Adult Basic Skills Workshop
This program will work with individuals, who did not graduate from high school, in helping them to raise their academic skill level. At the beginning and conclusion of the Adult Basic Skills Workshop, individuals will take the TABE Test to measure their overall improvement with their academic literacy.
Classes begin: September and January
Classes Meet: Tuesday – Saturday
Food Preparation/Sanitation Certification
This JobSTAR course teaches the basic academic skills as well as hands on culinary skills required for entry level jobs in the food service industry while preparing participants to earn or renew their ServSAVE Sanitation Certification offered through the Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association.
Program begins: September and January:
A 12-week program which runs Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday teaching the basics of food prep and prepares participants for the ServSafe Sanitation Certification exam.
Enrollment is Limited!
Culinary topics include:
- Knife Skills
- Dairy Products
ServSAFE Sanitation Certification
A 24-hour program for experienced food service workers to help them earn or renew their ServSAFE certification.
Integrated Applications for Today’s Office Environment
This program is designed to add new life and possibilities to your job search by teaching you the basic computer skills and office procedures you will need to be successful in today’s work environment as well as basic academic skills. All levels of competency are served as instruction is tailored to the skill level of the participant.
Training Modules Include:
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
- Internet Skills
- Communications Skills
- Business and Clerical Skills
- Basic QuickBook instructions
- Work Readiness
Programs begin September and January
Classes Meet: Wednesday – Saturday
TABE TEST – Test of Adult Basic Education
This test indicates the academic level of the individual who did not graduate from high school. It provides reliable, skill-level data to screen test takers in various academic subjects.
This youth program provides children (ages 6 – 14) of individuals who are attending one of JobSTAR Saturday classes a learning experience that is culturally, academically, and technologically rich.
Westchester Community College credit classes
Meeting with the JobSTAR Director, completing various programs, being approved for financial aid, taking the Placement Test, submitting immunization records, and satisfying all Westchester Community College requirements enrollment into Westchester Community College may be possible.