Dining Services Sustainability Initiatives
GO GREEN SAVE GREEN Refillable Mug Program
- The Go Green Save Green mug also comes with a 10% discount on the purchase of all future coffee, tea, and fountain drinks at all WCC dining locations
- Mugs keep beverages hotter and colder longer than disposable cups
- All mugs are BPA free and come with a stainless steel interior
- Mugs are available for sale at all Dining locations and at the WCC Bookstore
A Refillable Mug program will bring positive change to our campus
- Americans use an estimated 16 BILLION paper coffee cups annually
- Over 6.5 million trees per year are used in the production process
- Creating the coating within the paper stock is very energy intensive: 4 billion gallons of water are used in the production process and in addition this coating is not recyclable
- If you buy a cup of coffee or tea in a disposable cup every day, you toss 365 cups a years. That’s 23 lbs. of waste in one year!
- Using the mug prevents not just paper cups, but lids and straws from going into the waste stream
Other Sustainability Initiatives
Dining Services is partnering with the Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities on an EPA grant to convert our kitchen organic food waste to compost.
Recycling of Cooking Oil
Dining Services recycles all of its used cooking oil into bio fuel as part of its sustainability initiatives.
Recycling of Bottles & Cans
As part of a campus wide sustainability effort, students designated as Trash Talkers will be positioned in the Viking Café to ensure that recyclable materials are put into the right containers as well as educate our campus community about recycling and sustainability.
As part of our recycling efforts, Dining Services and the Bookstore utilize a cardboard compactor to recycle all boxes.