Employers – Career Services
As one of our local business partners, we encourage you to take advantage of all the Career & Transfer Center has to offer. We can be a vital tool by providing you with prospective employees that have the most up-to-date training and knowledge to meet your continually growing business needs.
Reach our diverse and skilled students by participating in our programs and connecting with our students and alumni.
Why Recruit at WCC?
Westchester Community College educates and trains students to meet the ever-changing needs of a diverse marketplace. Through small classes and a SUNY award winning faculty, our students have access to 41 associate degree majors and 22 certificate programs. Click for a complete list of our Degree and Certificate Programs. Degree and Certificate Programs.
Specific services to employers include on-going job listing services, job/internship fairs, informal on campus recruitment and career panels. All venues provide for the opportunity to network with our students and alumni and professional staff/faculty. This full service center helps students to bridge the gap from college to a successful career and assists employers in meeting their staffing targets.
Staff your business
If you are interested in advertising a position for Westchester Community College students and alumni, please visit: www.collegecentral.com/sunywcc, the official and free on-line student/alumni job board and resume bank. After a brief, one time registration you will be able to list any FT, PT, Summer/Seasonal, Co-op/Internship and Freelance positions. The system also allows you to search the database of resumes and portfolios.
Contact our office at 914-606-6760 if you have any questions
SUNY CDO, State University of New York Career Development Organization offers a free job listing service to employers. This site allows firms to electronically send job listings to all SUNY colleges. Students in the local area, as well as throughout New York State, can view your listing.. You can visit/register your jobs on this site at http://www.sunycdo.org/cdo/employers/
Connect with students and alumni
- Arrange for a promotional table in high-traffic areas to market your organization and opportunities for students and alumni. Contact our Receptionist to arrange a date, 914 606-6760.
- Attend our annual Job/Internship Fair
- Participate in Career Center Panels and/or Workshops to meet students and faculty and talk about your firm and staffing needs
- Supply flyers to the Career & Transfer Center staff for posting.
- Advertise in Westchester Community College’s student newspaper, The Viking
Internships & Cooperative Education
Need mature, highly motivated and career focused candidates?
The Westchester Community College Cooperative Education & Internship Program provides employers with traditional and non-traditional students to meet their temporary or seasonal staffing needs at a reasonable cost and commitment. As a participating employer, you can screen and recruit potential candidates and observe their performance before making any long term commitment. Additionally, employers have the opportunity to participate in the professional development of students. By offering quality experiences and training to students, employers make a commitment to the professional growth and development of the future workforce.
The goal of the Westchester Community College Cooperative Education/Internship Program is to develop partnerships with employers who will provide quality experiences for students. This partnership will create a framework within which educational institutions and employers can work together to develop potential candidates that have both a theoretical and a practical exposure to their career field.
Participating makes good business sense.
Corporations/organizations that participate in experiential learning programs have the opportunity to test out potential FT employees by hiring them while they are still students. This virtually eliminates training and recruitment costs. Students are available in a flexible schedule, throughout the year, to meet employer needs. Employers screen and select candidates for each placement offered.
What are my responsibilities?
Employers who participate in the Co-op/Internship Program are expected to provide meaningful experiences and supervision related to the students’ career goals and professional growth.
Specifically employers need to:
- Prepare a detailed, well thought out job description and list of qualifications. This will give students a clearer idea of what the experience will be and will allow them to review the specific qualifications for the position
- Provide appropriate orientation and training as needed for fulfillment of job responsibilities
- Provide a safe and healthy work environment for students
If the student is earning academic credit for the experience:
- Identify a supervisor at the work location that will act as the liaison to the college and faculty advisor
- Assist students in developing meaningful and appropriate learning objectives
- Complete evaluation forms at the middle and end of the semester in which a student is earning academic credit
- Meet with a student’s faculty advisor towards the end of the semester to discuss the student’s progress/performance
- Be in contact with the Faculty Advisor or Program Coordinator should problems occur with the student or program
What academic programs participate?
Students from the following curricula are available for placements:
Business Administration/Global Business
Computer Information Systems
(Mechanical, Civil, Electrical)
|Emergency Medical Technology
Liberal Arts: Social Science
Retail Mgmt/Fashion Merchandising
Visual Arts/Digital Arts
How do I get more information?
Download the Employer Manual for complete information about the credit program.
Contact the Program Coordinator, 914 606-6760
How do I list co-ops or internships with the Westchester Community College Career & Transfer Center?
Go to www.collegecentral.com/sunywcc. Click on the Employer icon and follow the directions for registering as a new employer. Your registration will be sent to us and we will approve you and give you a password to post positions. Your account will be activated and you will be able to list positions and search the database of student resumes and portfolios.