What happens if I become sick during the semester and need to withdraw?
Can I get a refund?
If you experience an unexpected, extenuating medical circumstance during the semester and must drop your classes, you may submit an appeal for tuition reimbursement to the Refund Committee. You must drop your classes prior to the last day of the semester. An appeal for a refund must be submitted within 90 days from the last day of the semester.
If you decide to request a refund, follow the steps/instructions as outlined below:
- If you have received Financial Aid or loans, you must first meet with a Financial Aid counselor to discuss your options and whether or not you should proceed with the appeal process.
- Drop and/or withdraw from your courses.
- Complete and date the Medical Refund Appeal Form. You can access this form at: (LINK) or contact the Westchester Community College Health Office to have the form faxed or mailed to you. (See the bottom of this page for the Health Office contact information.) The Personal Statement should indicate that the illness or injury was an unexpected, extenuating medical circumstance preventing you from attending school. The statement should also include the approximate dates of attendance as well as the last day you attended class. You may include any other information you feel is relevant.
- Provide Medical documentation. A letter from your Health Care Provider (medical doctor, physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner) must include the nature of the illness/diagnosis, dates of the condition and its effect on your ability to attend classes during the semester for which the request is being submitted. Pre-existing conditions are not accepted unless unexpected circumstances occurred or the symptoms exacerbated during the semester for which the appeal is being submitted.
- Submit the Form and medical documentation to the Refund Committee. The documentation can be submitted online by clicking here, faxed to: 914-606-6423 or mailed to:
Westchester Community College
Health Services, Student Center room 181
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, N.Y 10595
Please note: A filed appeal does not guarantee an approval. If a refund is approved, future refund requests for reoccurring medical conditions cannot be granted.