HITech at Westchester Community College – Career Paths
Your Future as a Health Information Technology Professional Begins Here
Westchester Community College’s Health Information Technology Program prepares individuals with health and/or IT backgrounds for three roles in organizations at the cutting edge of electronic health record implementation and use:
- Implementation support specialists: Specialists trained to install and test health IT systems in clinical settings to ensure that these systems are effective and easy to use.
- Technical/software support: Specialists trained to diagnose IT problems, develop solutions, and keep systems running smoothly and securely.
Those who complete training in the Implementation Support Specialist/Technical/Software Support paths may choose to enroll in further study to prepare as Trainers.
- Trainers: Train practice staff to use new IT systems and upgrades. IT specialists with training experience can receive instruction in the design and delivery of training programs.
This program has been developed for those with backgrounds in Health IT, IT, and/or health care.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects employment of health information technicians to grow 22 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for health services is expected to increase as the population ages.
In response to this gap, the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) funded the Health IT Workforce Development Program. This initiative created a national curriculum designed to train Health IT professionals and was implemented by 82 community colleges in all 50 states. Westchester Community College was a participant in this consortium led by Tidewater Community College in Virginia.
What are the benefits of implementing an electronic medical records system?
- More accurate and complete records
- Improved ability to coordinate care
- Improved ability to share information with patients
- More accurate diagnoses
- Reduced medical errors
- Reduced costs of healthcare delivery
- Improved patient outcomes
For more information about the Health IT certificate program, please email email@example.com.
Click here for Program Details
Click here for enrollment information and forms.