NYS Boating Safety
NEW! New York State Boating Safety Course
The New York State required 8-hour course on the safe operation of boats and personal watercraft. The law in New York requires the following people to have a boating safety certificate:
- Operator of motorboats born on or after May 1, 1996 must complete a boater safety course.
- PWC operators (Jet Ski) must be at least 14 years of age and either hold a boating safety certificate or be accompanied by someone over 18 years of age who is the holder of a boating safety certificate.
This course is good for anyone who wants to learn boating safety and how to conduct safe boat operations as well as those who want the certificate. All materials will be provided. At the end of the class, students will take a closed book exam. With the minimum passing score of 76%, students will earn the NYS Boating Safety certificate. Must be a minimum of 10 years old to take the course.
About the Instructor
The instructor, Sgt. Christopher E. Vega, is a NYC Police Officer, a former U.S. Marine and member of the NY Naval Militia. He is a certified Coxswains for the State of New York and has conducted counter terrorism patrols on NY waterways. Sgt. Vega is a certified NYS Boat Safety Instructor.
Just recently, the City of Peekskill commended Sgt Christopher Vega for his selfless life-saving act of kindness and presented him with a Friendly Citizen Award. On January 4, 2018 while driving home from work, Sgt Christopher Vega witnessed an accident on Main Street under blizzard conditions. With disregard for his own safety and the threat of electrocution, he saved the life of another. The City of Peekskill commended Sergeant Vega for his heroic act and for being a compassionate and friendly citizen.
CE-CERTS 2050, 9:00 am-5:00 pm, $60 (+ additional $10 certificate fee, payable to NYS Parks Department for those 18 years of age and older). C Vega.
- Sec. A: 1 Sat., May 19, KNC-3. #7254
- Sec. B: 1 Sat., June 16, KNC-3. #7255
- Sec. C: 1 Sun., June 24, KNC-4. #7256
- Sec. D: 1 Sun., July 15, KNC-4. #7257
Registration and Contact Information
Register by Phone: 914-606-6830 press 1
Location to Register: Westchester Community College, main campus, Administration Building, Room 207