- Columbia University – Teachers College – Ed. D., Adult Education, 2014
- Manhattanville College – MS, Leadership and Strategic Management, 2001
- University of Pennsylvania – The Wharton School – BS, Economics – Finance, 1996
- Westchester Community College – AS, Business Administration, 1994
- Global Business
- Global Marketing
- Business Organization and Management
- Supervisory Management
Mr. Hyland teaches in the Department of Business at Westchester Community College in Valhalla, NY. Prior to this he served as the Director of the College’s Cross County Extension Center for nearly a decade.
Throughout his business career he has held a variety of executive and management positions in firms that specialize in e-commerce and emerging technologies. He served as a Project manager at Walker Digital, a high-tech think tank and patent company in Stamford, CT, where he helped to launch Priceline.com. His executive experience also includes a stint as Executive Vice President of CI4NET North America; CEO of Reward World.com; Executive Vice President at Unico Holdings, a tech incubator Stamford, CT; and Executive Vice President of Papps Capital Group, a Wall Street wealth management firm.
Mr. Hyland served honorably for four years (active duty) in the United States Marine Corps Infantry, where he served as a Squad Leader. He was meritoriously promoted to the rank of Corporal, he was awarded a sea service deployment ribbon, a cold weather deployment ribbon, and a good conduct medal. He was also a cold-weather survival and mountain warfare instructor and was honorably discharged in 1989.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Hyland, R (2010). Perspective Transformations: The Good the Bad and the Descriptive. Plan to submit to Journal of Transformative Education, Submitted for presentation at Transformative Learning Conference, spring, 2011.
- Hyland, R (2010). Community College Teaching: The challenge in defining and measuring competencies. Presented at the Academy of Human Resource Development (AHRD) Conference, spring 2010.
- Hyland, R. et al. (2008). Cycling through time and Learning: How a doctoral cohort made meaning from a biographical/life histories class.
- Hyland, R. (2007). Strategic and Business Planning in Higher Education. CEANY Conference Keynote Address, 2007.
- Hyland, R., Gaines, G. (2006). Selected Challenges of Administering a College Branch Campus. Academy Chair Conference Paper, 2006.
Professional Affiliations, Civic Associations, and Committees
- Co-Chair, Yonkers Workforce Investment Board Strategic Planning Committee (2006
- Director – Alpha Beta Gamma Business Honor Society Board of Directors (2006-Present)
- Director – Yonkers 55 Plus Board of Directors (2006-2009)
- Director – Yonkers Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (2005-2007)
- Member – Columbia Venture Community (20010-Present)
- Member – Developmental Education Advisory Council (2010 – Present)
- Member – Extension Center Task Force (2004–2009)
- Member – Marine Corps League of Westchester (Current)
- Member – University of Pennsylvania Alumni Secondary School Committee (2007-Present)
- Member – Wharton Club of New York – Wharton Entrepreneur Community (Current
- Member – Yonkers Workforce Investment Board (2004-05)
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education Visiting Team (2006)