Office location: Science Building / 309
Title(s): SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor of English
Department/Division: English, ESL, Reading Department/ School of Arts and Humanities
- Ph.D. in English, Stony Brook University, SUNY, 1982 – 17th Century Literature; Modern British, Irish, and American Literature
- M.A. in English, Stony Brook University, 1976.
- B.A. summa cum laude, Fordham College, 1975.
- Writing and Research, ENG 101
- Writing and Literature, ENG 102
- Introduction to Shakespeare, ENG 215
- Reading and Writing Poetry, ENG 113
- Literature and Psychology/ Learning Community in Literature and Psychology
Honors and Awards:
- SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor, 2012
- New York State Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, 2010
- Abeles Endowed Chair in Global Literature, 2006-present
- WCC Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award, 2005
- New York State Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, SUNY, 1995.
- Phi Beta Kappa
Publications and Presentations:
- “New Widow” poem forthcoming in Pulse Voices from the Heart of Medicine, 2017.
- “Unleaving in Summer” in Podium, 92nd St Y Unterberg Poetry Center, Summer 2008
- “Losses that Turn Up in Dreams” in Exploring Literature first-fifth editions, edited Frank Madden. New York: Pearson Longman, 2003-2012.
- “Alice Walker” (biographical essay) Encyclopedia of Southern Culture, 2006.
- “Shakespeare Without Chairs: Open-Space Pedagogies” presentations on Teaching Macbeth and Othello, National Shakespeare Association of America conference, Chicago, IL on April 1-2, 2010.
Institution Service or Academic Service:
- Distinguished Teaching Professor University-Wide Advisory Council, 2013-present
- Coordinator of SUNY General Education Humanities Assessment, 2014-15
- Editor, Middle States Self-Study Report, 2004
- Member, Search and Screen committees
- Member, Communications and Reading Departments DC committees
- Assistant Chair, English Department, 2002-2003