How Federal Verification Works
Around 30% of all students who file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form are selected by the US Department of Education to confirm the accuracy of the information submitted.
FAFSA Verification Selection Process & How to Respond
WCC has no control over either the selection process or the extent of data required for Federal Verification. Please go to MYWCC, Student Center to check your status 3-4 business days after successfully submitting your FAFSA.
You will also receive notification that you have been selected for Federal Verification and you will need to read through the documentation requests, gather and complete the required paperwork within a short period of receiving your notification.
Students who are selected will not receive their award until all verification documents have been submitted and reviewed.
The priority deadline for fall semesters is May 1st, for spring semesters is October 30
All required forms for verification purposes are downloadable from our web site.
What needs to be verified?
Here’s a list of the 2014-2015 information may be required to be verified for students and parents. In order to verify the financial data supplied on your FAFSA we must receive confirmation of your tax data directly from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Due to changes implemented by the federal government, we are now required to collect tax transcripts and can no longer accept copies of tax returns.
- Adjusted gross income and taxes paid
- Deductible IRA and SEP payments
- Tax-exempt interest income
- Untaxed portions of IRAs & pensions (excluding rollovers)
- Number of members in the household
- Number attending college
- Child support paid
- Receipt of Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Statement of education purpose
In addition, you may be required to verify your social security number, alien registration number, citizenship status or veteran status if not verified by the central processor. Males may be required to provide documentation of their Selective Service status. You may be asked to provide further documentation such as passport, birth certificate, naturalization form, legal Resident Alien Card (green card) or I-94 form. All supporting documentation required to verify your eligibility status must be provided no later than 45 days from the date of request, or you may lose your eligibility for aid.
How to Provide Tax Information-Data Retrieval or Tax Transcript?
The choice is yours.
The Department of Education requires the information you supplied on your application to be confirmed with the actual tax return you and your parents filed with the Internal Revenue Service. You can do this in one of two ways.
- IRS Data Retrieval Tool
If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you originally filed your FAFSA, we encourage you to go back into your FAFSA and do so now. The tax information will be transmitted to the Financial Aid office within 2-3 business days. This is the fastest way to complete the verification of your tax information. Click here for instructions.
This tool allows you to link your FAFSA directly to your filed tax return with the Internal Revenue Service. We highly recommend you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool option on the FAFSA if you are eligible.
- IRS Tax Transcript
There are several ways to obtain a copy of your transcript from the IRS, but there could be significant delays so please plan ahead.
Option 1: Online request at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcrip. You may order transcripts online using the Get Transcript by Mail service. Click here for instructions of getting transcript online
Option 2: Telephone Request: 1-800-908-9946, or, 1-800-829-1040 and have them mailed to you
Option 3: Visit your local IRS Office at 210 East Post Road, White Plains, New York, 10601.
Be sure to request a Tax Return Transcript NOT an Account Transcript. The wrong transcript will further delay the verification process.
Other Tax Circumstances
Victim of IRS Identity Theft
- Contact the Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) toll free number at 800-908-4490 to request an alternate paper tax return transcript known as TRDBV (Tax Return DataBase View) transcript. Submit the TRDBV in place of the tax return transcript for each parent, as appropriate.
- submit a statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of the tax-related identity theft.
Filed an Amended IRS Tax Returns please submit all the following:
- A signed copy of the original tax return that was filed with the IRS;
- An IRS Tax return Transcript (which does not have to be signed), or acceptable IRS alternative, such as Record of Account Transcript, a Return Transcript for Taxpayer (RTFTP), or an Information Returns Processing Transcript Request–Wages (IRPTR-W); and
- A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.
Filed a Foreign Tax Return
- Submit signed copy of that income tax return-with income converted into U.S. dollars for each parent, as appropriate.
Sending Verification Documents to Our Office
We strongly recommend that you submit all documents within 14 days of your notification. Make photocopies for your records. Print your name and WCC student ID number on each page of the documents you submit.
Submit all documents in person, fax, or mail
Fax: (914) 606-7807
Westchester Community College
Office of Student Financial Assistance
Administration Building, Room 120
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595