Native Plant Center Events
What: Spring Landscape Conference—Going Public: Native Plants Take Root from Parks to Parkways
When: Monday, March 13, 2017, 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
(Snow date: Friday, March 17)
Where: Westchester Community College, Classroom Building, Room C200
Enter Grasslands East Gate, Park in Lot #4
Description: Increasingly native plants are being used in public parks, along roadsides, and beside waterways where they bring people in touch with nature; attract birds, butterflies, and other wildlife to otherwise barren sites; and revitalize local economies. Explore successful designs, and hear about funding and maintenance challenges. Learn which native species can face these demanding situations.
Speakers and presentation titles:
- Patrick Cullina, Transforming Public Spaces with Dynamic Designs
- Susan Barton, PhD, Enhancing Highways: Lessons from the Roadside
- Aileen Helsley and Jason Wolfanger, Managing Roadside Vegetation: From Invasives to Pollinators
- David Kvinge, Restoring Riparian Ecological Function
- Heather Liljengren, Tough Plants for Tough Places: Mirroring Natural Habitats in the Built Landscape
Earn 5 LA-CES and up to 4 ISA professional credits.
What: 18th Annual Native Plant Sale
When: Saturday, April 29, 2017, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
Where: Westchester Community College
Park in Visitor Lot #1
Description: Thousands of beautiful, beneficial native plants await your choosing at our annual sale. No need to wait: Other native plant species are available to order during our pre-sale, which ends in late February. Click here to see the catalog and plants and to download an order form.