Program Administrator (Benefits)
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Human Resources Department
RESPONSIBILITIES: Reporting to the Director of Human Resources of Westchester Community College, the Program Administrator (Benefits) is responsible for administering the day-to-day operations of group benefit programs (group health, dental, vision, long-term disability, worker’s compensation, life insurance, unemployment, flexible spending plan, 403(b)/457(b) plans and retirement plans, etc.). S/he will provide administrative oversight, strategic planning, cost/benefit analyses, and compliance monitoring expertise as it relates to the College benefits programs. The incumbent will have extensive contacts with insurance carriers, governmental entities, Community College employees, retirees, and their families, to ensure effective program operation and resolve individual and administrative issues. S/he will also schedule work assignments for subordinate support personnel, insuring that tasks are completed and provide instruction in program procedures. S/he must provide excellent customer service. Responsibilities will also include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide customer service to internal and external customers. Develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the company’s benefits package. Design and oversee distribution of materials for benefit orientations, open enrollment and summary plan descriptions. Create and conduct presentations using audiovisual tools including Microsoft PowerPoint. Determine proper course of action to resolve escalated customer service issues. Interpret plan procedures and policies. Recommend and advise on benefit enhancements and changes.
- Coordinate routine benefit processing including: enrollments, COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, etc.
- Serve as the primary contact for plan vendors and Third Party Administrators. Determine the best plan options by working with the Third Party Administrators. Coordinate transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums and plan administration. Work effectively to ensure that plans run smoothly. Investigate discrepancies and provide information in non-routine situations. Manage outside contacts to include physicians, Third Party Administrators, attorneys, other benefits vendors and outside consultants.
- Review all vendor bills for accuracy; administer processing of vendor payments in a timely fashion.
- Supervise maintenance of automated and manual human resources records. Coordinate benefit setup, deduction and compliance reporting issues with IT and Payroll. Assure that benefit programs are adaptable to HRIS and reporting systems. Prepare, collect and organize census and other data for actuarial assessments, insurance carriers, and management. Ensure secure storage of manual benefits data. Administer civil service procedures related to FMLA and Sections 71 & 72 of Civil Service Law.
- Analyze and interpret new or revised legislative requirements or programs for the purpose of determining their impact upon existing administrative and procedural activities; recommend the course of action to superiors.
- Assist in the development of bargaining proposals for employee benefits; conduct analysis of demands. Obtain and prepare cost data for collective bargaining proposals and final settlements.
- Survey trends; complete benefit surveys and review information obtained from the results. Forecast trends and assist with future benefit designs. Analyze results of surveys and develops specific recommendations for review by management.
- Attend workers’ compensation and 207-C hearings and provide information to NY State Workers’ Compensation Board as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess a high school or equivalency diploma and eight years of experience where the primary function of the position was in employee benefits, five years of which were at an administrative/supervisory level, three of which included staff or administrative experience with health plans. PHR and CEBS professional designations preferred. Good knowledge of benefits programs and unemployment insurance are required. Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending, pertaining to employee benefit programs including Affordable Care Act (ACA), FMLA, COBRA, ADA, Workers’ Compensation, Medicare, DOL, and Social Security is also required. S/he must possess familiarity with third party and medical provider billing and payment procedures as well as familiarity with Medicare procedures and benefits. The successful candidate must also possess the ability to use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail and database software. Strong analytical skills are required. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing are required. *This is a Civil Service position. The final candidate will be required to take and pass the Civil Service Exam.*
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $64,685 plus excellent benefits. (Salary commensurate with experience.)
POSITION EFFECTIVE: The search will remain open until the position is filled.