Maintenance Mechanic I (Grounds)
The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy, and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: February 1, 2018
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Maintenance Mechanic I (Grounds)
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Physical Plant
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Maintenance Mechanic I (Grounds):
- Participates in landscape improvements, including grading, planting and pruning or removal of trees, shrubs and the installation special design shrub and floral beds, to improve the appearance of College property;
- Mows and removes leaves to maintain grounds appearance; and sands & plows for safety;
- Maintains planted material by watering, re-seeding, and performing fertilizing, pest, disease and weed control, etc., ensuring that the plantings remain healthy and attractive;
- Plants, mows, and prunes trees & hedges, weeds, cleans up leaves and litter, etc. in order to maintain the appearance and health of plantings;
- Performs routine and emergency repairs and maintenance, both scheduled and in response to emergency situations, as required;
- Maintains and repairs roads, walkways, curbs, etc., ensuring safety; and cleans & repairs catch basins, in order to ensure effective operation;
- All other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess a minimum of three years of experience in gardening, landscaping or grounds keeping. Possession of a valid New York State Operators License appropriate to the equipment operated is required. Depending on work assignment, s/he must meet the standards of OSHA regulation 1910.134 Respiratory Protection and will be required to meet federal, state and local standards with respect to health and safety. Depending on work assignment, s/he may also be required to be a Certified Pesticide Applicator in New York State, within the appropriate category.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: The position will remain open until filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $39,500, plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. You may upload your documents by clicking “here.” Candidates can also send a letter expressing interest in this position, a resume, and three professional references to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Maintenance Mechanic I (Grounds)” in the subject line of the email; or mail to:
Westchester Community College
HR Department, Administration Building – Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, New York 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.