Lead Technical Assistant – Engineering and Technologies
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Engineering and Technologies Department/Division of Mathematics, Computer, Engineering and Physical Sciences and Technologies
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Lead Technical Assistant participates in the development of laboratory curriculum including experimental objectives, theories, procedures, data tables and associated assignments at levels compatible with student abilities. S/he also:
- Explains and/or demonstrates the use of laboratory equipment and/or facility equipment (including computers, printers, 3D printers, CNC machines, electrical trainers, scientific equipment, etc.) to aid students and faculty in various instructional environments;
- Ensures labs/facilities, equipment and educational materials are readily available for faculty and student use;
- Ensures adherence to quality control and safety standards and ensures their security and safe storage when working in a lab with machinery and sophisticated equipment;
- Ensures the security of facilities and equipment;
- Ensures the regular calibration and maintenance of equipment and instruments;
- Provides administrative assistance in educational laboratories;
- Consults with faculty on the selection and use of highly technical equipment in instructional programs throughout the Engineering and technologies division;
- Assists the department chairperson and faculty in the review of equipment requirements and the selection and requisitioning of same (within budgetary limits);
- Consults vendors regarding equipment and specifications and ensures accuracy and condition of inventory; approves payment to vendors in accordance with contractual arrangements;
- Assists the Department and Division Chairman and higher level personnel and may act as person in charge in the absence of higher level personnel;
- Supervises work-study students assigned to work in the area;
- Reviews and tests incoming equipment to insure that it meets specifications.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in area of specialty and one year of experience in the area of specialty are required. S/he must possess thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the technical fields of specialization including mechanical, computer, and electrical; thorough knowledge of the practical application of instruments and/or equipment used in area of specialization; the ability to repair and maintain equipment; the ability to give directions to others in the use of equipment in mechanical and electrical laboratories; the ability to communicate effectively with students and faculty; and the ability to maintain clerical records involved in operations.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: The position will remain open until filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $49,295 plus competitive benefits.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 letters of recommendation to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Lead Technical Assistant – Engineering and Technologies” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
Administration Building- Suite 111
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, N.Y. 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning.