Director of Student Accounts
The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: November 29, 2017
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Director of Student Accounts
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Business Office
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the general supervision of the Controller, the Director of Student Accounts assists in performing the financial and business functions of the Bursar’s Office. Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide data from federal and state restricted funds and other student related data to be used by the Controller or Vice President and Dean of Administrative Services (CFO/COO) in reporting to governmental and outside agencies;
- Manage and supervise the Bursar’s Office to include departmental planning and budget preparation, fee assessment, billing verification, 1098 T tax reporting, student refunds, county operating and capital chargeback, written procedures, and customer service;
- Manage and supervise the financial aid disbursement and certification functions;
- Maintain and test the PeopleSoft system (or equivalent student financial system) and all software releases and patches related to student account fee assessments and regulatory compliance reporting;
- Supervise the financial procedures for revenue collection at all sites;
- Prepare and implement policies and regulations as required in the area of student accounts and revenue collection, including federal and state aid programs;
- Implement new electronic processes related to the delivery of student services;
- Serve as the Business Office liaison between Student Services and Academic Affairs;
- Manage the college payroll department including biweekly payroll processing for salaried and hourly staff; manage bi-weekly, quarterly and annual tax reporting, including W-2s; manage the pension reporting (NYSERS, NYSTRS, and the Optional Retirement Plan), college tax deferred plans, and all other payroll deductions; update payroll and tax programs;
- Interact with all independent, federal and state auditors, providing analyses, and schedules, as requested;
- Supervise the work of staff by planning, allocating, and coordinating the work flow; guiding and advising staff in the more complex phases of their work; training employees; allocating personnel to ensure continued service in all areas; and advising staff on student accounts and office personnel matters related to work flow and coverage;
- Serve as the liaison between college administration and college banking partners regarding bank and credit card processes;
- All other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or a closely related field, including the satisfactory completion of 12 credits in accounting, and six years of experience in financial operations, three years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity with responsibilities as described above, preferably in education, are required. A Master’s degree in business administration or a related field is strongly preferred. The successful candidate must possess thorough knowledge of modern accounting and auditing theory and practice; thorough knowledge of financial accounting, credit & collections, and financial aid disbursements; thorough knowledge of financial management information systems and controls; thorough knowledge of office procedures and practices; working knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations; ability to plan and direct the work of a substantial number of employees; and the ability to organize and initiate accounting systems for new programs. S/he must also possess the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $86,001 plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. You may upload your documents by clicking “here.” Please send a resume, cover letter and three letters of recommendation to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Student Accounts” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
HR Department, Administration Building- Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received by January 12, 2018.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence and lifelong learning.