Director of Campus Security
The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy, and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: August 2, 2017
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Director of Campus Security
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Security Dept./Administrative Services Division
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Campus Security is responsible for the security and safety of a diverse community of 35,000 + students, faculty, staff and visitors of Westchester Community College, a 218-acre open campus with extension centers throughout Westchester County. S/he will be the primary point of contact and liaison with external law enforcement agencies (local, state, and federal) and emergency response organizations. S/he will also:
- Oversee compliance with federal Clery & Violence Against Women Acts, and NYS Education Law Articles 129-A & 129-B;
- Develop and implement crime prevention strategies including targeted security patrols, law enforcement patrols, BIT involvement, community awareness training, student orientation training, etc;
- Investigate crimes and incidents occurring at the college, including coordination with external law enforcement and investigative agencies;
- Establish structure and improve the Security Department’s organization and function by developing departmental policies and procedures related to security & safety; and by applying sound management practices;
- Oversee the training and performance levels of Security Department personnel including Associate/Assistant Directors, the Health & Safety Program Administrator, the weekend Supervisor, locksmith, and three office staff, as well as a contract security staff of approximately 75 employees, including 24×7 shift supervisors and dispatchers;
- Supervise and oversee the Environment Health & Safety program at the college, including EPA/DEC, OSHA/PESH, and NYS OFPC/NFPA compliance efforts;
- All other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess a Bachelor’s Degree and six years of progressively responsible experience in a private security firm or in a police agency coordinating, controlling and directing police resources, activities and personnel. Ten years of progressively responsible experience in the above stated areas is strongly preferred. Experience in higher education is preferred. The successful candidate must possess excellent administrative, organizational, and written/verbal communication skills. S/he must also possess strong managerial and budgetary skills. Strong computer skills (Windows, Microsoft Office, E-mail, security systems, etc.) are required. Good knowledge of the techniques and methods of safety and security analysis is required. Good knowledge of safety and security laws, rules and regulations is also required.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: The position will remain open until filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $70,135 plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. You may “upload your documents by clicking here.” Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Campus Security” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
Administration Building – Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Priority will be given to applications received by September 15, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning.