Director of Alumni Engagement/Program Administrator (Community Education)
The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy, a commitment to shared governance, and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: September 12, 2017
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Director of Alumni Engagement/Program Administrator (Community Education)
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: External Affairs
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Alumni Engagement is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive engagement program to maximize alumni interest, involvement, and connectivity to Westchester Community College and to attract resources for the college’s mission. The ideal candidate should have a record of accomplishment in areas such as alumni communications, program coordination with other key offices such as career services, alumni fundraising and special events, and coordination of affinity benefits for alumni. Reporting to the Vice President of External Affairs and the Executive Director of the WCC Foundation, the Director is expected to collaborate with the development staff, faculty, campus departments and academic programs to support meaningful partnerships between alumni and these entities. This position also directs and supervises a part-time support staff member on designated tasks.
- Develop and lead a strategic plan for alumni engagement that promotes alumni connections to the college, supports student success initiatives, and underscores key college messaging.
- Capture and define affinity messages for the college through compelling communications that describe life changing impact of the institution on students’ lives along the curricular and/or extracurricular journey. Create effective brand messaging for the Alumni program.
- Establish collaborative partnerships with offices across the college, such as Career Services, Development, Student Involvement, Volunteer Office, and Academic Affairs to foster alumni involvement in curricular and/or extracurricular programs, student internship and job placement, and support for student success programs that lead to engaged future alumni (e.g. admissions activities; new student orientation; career fairs; Young Alumni Club, etc.).
- Working with the Development Office, coordinate the Alumni Annual Appeal that includes identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of alumni donor prospects. Develops and executes other alumni fundraising projects in partnership with the Development Office, with the goal of increasing alumni giving annually.
- Plans, coordinates, promotes, and attends a limited number of alumni-sponsored events annually.
- Supports the WCC Alumni Association in collaboration with the governing body of the Alumni Council by preparing agendas for monthly Council meetings, recording and distributing action items of those meetings, and preparing reports to the Council on activity of the Alumni office and college at large.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the Alumni Engagement Office, managing alumni requests, administering alumni services and benefits, and is responsible for the alumni program budget.
- Keeps informed of alumni engagement best practices to identify, plan and implement practices that will add value to the college; maintains a network of industry colleagues (primarily with CASE and SUNY/CUAD) for program bench-marking.
- All other duties, as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree in Communications or a related field and five years of experience which involved writing community education articles including research of subject data, or preparing the content of information in brochures, pamphlets, or newsletters used for public information purposes. 3+ years of progressively responsible experience in Alumni Engagement within a higher education institution is preferred. A Master’s degree in a relevant field is a plus. Knowledge of the principals of fundraising and donor cultivation. Ability to easily network and establish rapport and connections with individuals and groups. Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage, motivate, and inspire (in person and in writing). Demonstrated exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments at once, prioritize opportunities, create and implement a strategic plan, and accomplish major programs and projects. Strong analytical skills to assess effectiveness of specific program components. Experience with interactive database programs and social media communications. Ability to work well and in a mature and professional manner with staff, trustees, faculty, and volunteers. A proven record of working cooperatively as part of a team, with supervisory experience preferred. PC proficiency (MS Office Suite in Windows environment) required. Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience using Raisers Edge database ideal; Adobe InDesign and/or Photoshop desired.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: September/October 2017 or until filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $67,300 plus competitive benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. You may upload your documents by clicking “here.” Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Alumni Engagement” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Westchester Community College
HR Department, Administration Building – Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, New York 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Priority consideration will be given to applications received by October 31, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning. AA/EOE.